Bob asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What do we need to achieve peace?

People say we can achieve peace but could we really achieve it?

Favorite Answer

Achieving peace is an experience for each individual. Inner peace creates outer peace. Peace is created when one realizes they are loved, and there is nothing to be afraid of.

Just be still. Clear your head of your brain chatter. Focus on only being aware of your own existence. Realize now is all there will ever be, love is the only thing that truly matters, peace comes from within when you realize this.

Peace and love :)

This is a bit naive. Not to be warlike is to deny our humanity. Over the last 2,000 years there has been roughly 150 years of peace. Look at the way we drive our cars, the way we treat each other, how we compete at school, how cruel children are to each other...

We are the most successful species the planet has ever seen and we're in the process of either turning it upside down or saving it. Do you think we can seriously "achieve peace" when we have conflict and competition so hardwired?

We fight for fun! Consider hockey, football, polo, soccer, cricket - it's on television, we pay money to watch people beat each other up over a leather ball.

To achieve "peace", we'd need to start over! Notions of peace are lofty and wonderful but we all have a killer instinct to a greater or lesser extent and that is why we are here, it's how our ancestors survived.

The humans with the peaceful tendencies were wiped out a long time ago.

A long time ago I thought that love was something that you reserved for some special set of people that you had judged worthy of it.

After a while I got to thinking about what Jesus had said about turning the other cheek and loving our neighbor I put the two together and realized that he had made no exceptions in these statements. It became obvious to me that he intended that we exclude no one from the love that we are supposed to be giving. I started thinking about my idea of love and suddenly realized that I had not been loving anyone at all. I had simply been judging everyone and every thing.

Judging someone worthy of love is not love, it is only judgment. I actually started to cry when I realized this. I saw just how much of my life I had wasted being judgmental, thinking of myself as a Christian, when I was actually doing just the opposite of what Jesus had asked us to do.

I thought about the verse judge not lest ye be judged, and I understood it for the first time.

I realized that I have a lot of catching up to do. So many opportunities were wasted. I now try to apply the love that I have for the world in a universal way like Jesus asks us to do.

If I start to feel afraid and think that I see someone that I should not love because of something I have thought or heard I try to catch my mistake as soon as possible. I tell myself that I have forgot the truth and have fallen for the same old trick that had cost me so many opportunities to be loving in the past. The horror of this realization is often all that is necessary to bring me back to my senses and make me drop the judgmental nonsense I was thinking.

I still have a lot to learn about love, but at least I’m making progress.

Love and blessings

Your brother

Don

Life is a competition.

You achieve peace by winning or dying.

We may through strength, violence & will achieve a measure of peace. But only death's victory is final.

Discipline, care to others and mercy. That's pretty much the major things we need. Sounds simple but hard to achieve.

Ask Obama

Open thougtht and tolerance.

• *RED*

...understanding, communication and tolerance - thanks for sharing...