Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCricket · 1 decade ago

How many of you believe that cricket can become the most famous sport in the world before you die?

Hi there!

Well.......it's a simple question.

Do you think cricket will become the most popular sport in the world before you die?

Option 1 - ઈ Hell Ya ઈ

--------------------------------

Option 2 - ઈHell No ઈ

--------------------------------

Option 3 - I don't know

--------------------------------

Option 4 - Depends on when I'll die.

@Whispers, Bingalee is not racist. You are!

• Sarah
    Favorite Answer

ઈ Hell No ઈ

And to be honest I'm not sure I want it to either.

It will never surpass sports such as football/soccer in popularity (not unless football/soccer are suddenly banned or it implodes of course) anyway. Football/soccer is the most popular sport in the world with such a massive following, is cheap to organise and play and anyone can play it. One of the problems with cricket is that it's not accessible enough, the rules are complicated and people are too lazy to invest time in it.

We live in a society where people want instant gratification and cricket doesn't always provide that (unless it's T20) whereas a sport like football/soccer does. It's one of the reasons why cricket hasn't been taken up in America on a large scale. And, Kookee is right, for it become a major worldwide sport (never mind the most famous) then it needs to be embraced more by America.

America is where the money is and sport is king out there. If they were to ever embrace the sport properly then then cricket's popularity would hit the stratosphere. There would be millions of fans, millions in revenue and the game would spread to other countries in that part of the world.

However, as I said at the beginning, I'm not sure I want it to become the most famous sport and I certainly don't want it to be embraced by America either. I fear that if it were ever to become that famous then people would want to change the format too much. Test cricket would certainly become obsolete, especially if cricket went to America (they wouldn't want to devote 5 days to a game, they'd want it to last a few hours like baseball and Twenty20 does). Cricket would be nothing like we know it now and that would be tragic.

• Lynne

The kids are understandably getting lured away by the US college scholarships, and you can't blame them for that. Barring an honest version of Alan Stanford rolling up, I can't see much in the Islands that can stump up the cash needed to retain the talent. Perhaps the BBL PBL IPL etc will be a necessary evil, with the cash offered by those competitions perhaps being sufficient to stem the tide. Ironic really that the concept was kicked off originally in the West Indies, and it now may come full circle and revive the game there from the outside. The external cash will also weaken the inter islands factionalism that has plagued the game there as well.

I don't know

the Japanese and Chinese prefer baseball I believe,no hope in North Anerica

But with T20 you never know

the whole of South America, Europe and Africa will start hating football for some reason and turn to cricket.Or do they need a Super 8s cricket?

I am not going to die, for I am God.

Cricket will not become the most popular sport on the planet unless it becomes overwhelmingly popular in the United States, and I can't see that happening. They're more interested in playing retarded sports where the use of performance enhancing drugs is entirely acceptable; such as Baseball.

3. Depends. If T20 picks up within the next 10 years and countries like China and America start playing, then yeah. I hope it does.

Only thing is that it's only chance of over taking soccer is T20. Where will test matches be if this is the case?

If it does turn out like this, I hope I die before Test cricket dies.

• Option 2 - ઈHell No ઈ

Soccer will remain the most famous game for the rest of eternity because it is an easy sport to pick up. Unlike soccer, cricket is much more "complex". It'll be hard for the general public in countries like Brazil, France, USA etc to understand the rules, yet alone field a cricket team.

• yes it will hopefully by 2040.. the rules are not complicated guys.and thesport is also economical..i think T20 cricket is as exciting as soccer..

china has started a cricket team and it seems the sport is generating lots of interest.. if we can get 400million chinese to like the game ( like by 2035-40 ) then we should make it..

1

ઈHell No ઈ

Unless Obama suddenly stumbles on Cricket in his next trip to the UK and loves it so much that he forces every American to try Cricket. Cricket needs America to take up Cricket, other South American countries will follow and the whole sport will grow.

What are the chances of this? American's have been playing football (soccer) for 50 years and it has still not embraced it.

• Adarsh

Option 2-Hell No!

As long as it doesn't get popular in America,as long as Obama doesn't recognise it,it does not become a popular sport all over the world!