promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Religion and Assisted Suicide?

Are there any major religions that believe in assisted suicide. I’m not looking for a right-winged denominations of a religion that believe in assisted suicide, rather a religion as a whole that believes that, under specific circumstances if need be, assisted suicide is ethically justified. Please note: assisted suicide is an act by which the person wishing to suicide commits the final act, not a third party.

Thanks

Update:

crystal - Buddhism isn’t a religion, it has no transcendent dimension.

Update 2:

robert p - left wing my apologises, but that was hardly the important part of the question...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't know of any that would take this as a formal stand.

However, it is more commonly practiced than most realize, even by those who are otherwise religious...no need to go into all the ways that are utilized, but in short, what is a DNR if not "assisted suicide"?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

While I personally do not agree with suicide I acknowledge that there is not a cut and dried answer here. I have read many historical accounts about someone administering the Coupe de Grace to a mortally wounded person on the battle field rather than allowing them to suffer agony for a long time. Would not this classify as assisted suicide especially if the dying person expresses a desire to be allowed a quick painless death when the outcome is death inevitably. This is a tough one that sounds like a good Thesis for a Grad. Student.

• 4 years ago

it rather is not important what any faith believes the place suicide is in contact... it rather is what God's be conscious has set forth in this that concerns... The Bible tells us that "we at the instant are not our very own" and that we've been bought with a value" and "are God's" as we see right here... a million CORINTHIANS 6:19-20 (KJV) 19 What? understand ye not that your physique is the temple of the Holy Spirit it is in you, which ye have of God, and ye at the instant are not your very own? 20 For ye are bought with a value: as a result glorify God on your physique, and on your spirit, that are God's. it is each and all of the evidence you like that God would not forget or pardon suicide!

• 1 decade ago

I am sure there are but I have no idea.

I myself do not believe in this act we all have a time to die and I believe we should wait until it is our time.

I suggest you go to religion category and there may someone there that can answer this question.

Good Luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know about major religions, I know my particular branch of paganism holds very sacred the right to die with dignity. I wouldn't force a dog to suffer till his last breathe, and I wouldn't force a human to either.

Those who have looked into their dog's eyes and known that he was ready to go and gave you the ok to do it, know what I am talking about.

Pregnant women shouldn't think about putting their dogs down, I am now crying, thanks a lot.

• 1 decade ago

you are confused?

right-winged denominations are highly apposed to euthanasia.Liberals support euthanasia.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=christia...

Liberals support it:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=liberals%20suppor...

Source(s): study
  • 1 decade ago

buddhism....

http://www.religionfacts.com/euthanasia/buddhism.h...

(scroll down to the bottom)

It's the only one I could find for you :)

• 1 decade ago

Religions are not rational. They cannot make this type of subtle distinction.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no its all wrong=murder..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.