loopy asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Psychology vs. Psychiatry?

I know the difference between the two but I still don't know which one I want to pursue. I know Psychiatrists are paid more but I feel like as a psychiatrist I might be stuck in a hospital writing prescriptions. I'm leaning more towards Psychology because I would actually be relying more on psychotherapy treatments but I want to take my Education to the highest level I can and I'm afraid maybe Psychology is the easy way out. I have the grades to potentially pursue either but I don't know which would be better. Is psychiatry better/harder then psychology?

Best Answer

Speaking for myself, and having had more than my fair share of bad doctors. I vote you go for Psychiatry. I think it would be nice if sometime, somewhere, there was a doctor, any doctor, that understood patients are humans and not everything wrong with a person needs an aspirin and a tap on the head. Maybe instead of writing a prescription, you chose to help instead. There was a show on fox network over the summer called Mental, where a doctor put the needs of the patient first. That would be nice if we got more than 2.9 seconds with a doctor, maybe we could find out what is wrong with us. I have been sick for 25 years. I tell every doctor what meds I take, they never ask me why. I tell them I am sick, they never run any test or blood work ups to see if they can find out why I am sick. It is like I don't even exist. My sister and I go on the internet and try and guess what makes me so sick. What ever you choose, put the patient first, listen, and hear what they are saying, and try your best to help, I mean really help the person. It took the military 20 years to tell my mother she had a broken toe. I am sure she figured it out right away, but it took them 20 years to tell her. I guess she learned to live with it and the pain, but no one should have to go through that. Chase your own dreams, but do it with a good heart. Peace be with you.

Since you're capable of achieving both; why not do so?

I believe psycho-therapists are of a great benefit to people over psychiatrists in general.

A good psychiatrist is hard to find, but if you can apply psychology with psychiatry that would be a great achievement for yourself and others.

Psychiatry today does at times seem to be just that; making quick diagnosis and writing out prescriptions where as psychology is more of a desire to truly help the client resolve issues.

There are good and bad in every profession, be the one to make a difference.

Good Luck to you.

The 2nd one you can write your own future with. You can also open all the doors to future jobs.