Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone take the nobel peace prize seriously now?

i really never knew it was such a joke, i give no respect for people that have won it now. I had always thought you actually had to accomplish something to get it. I guess ll you have to be is black

• avgjoe
    Best Answer

Here is an excerpt from Alfred Nobel's will

The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way:

The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work of an idealistic tendency; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity among nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

The prizes for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical works by Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm; and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my expressed wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, so that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be Scandinavian or not.

"To those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind."

Alfred Nobel

With that being said I think he himself is ashamed of how some of the awards have been given out in the years since his death

It might've been given prematurely. But even then I'm not sure. There have been plenty of people awarded for speeches they have made & dreams they've shared, even if their words alone did not effectively solve the problem or bring about that dream. Martin Luther King Jr. for example, racism is still a problem but his speech gave us a firm push in the right direction. Wether or not it someone thinks its deserved seems to depend on the view from their side of political aisle. Which is a shame. It shouldn't always be this [liberal/conservative, dem/rep, etc.] way with every issue. The nobel peace prize is not a policy or American voting issue. Partisanship should fall to the wayside and American pride should take its place. I think we should let other nations worry about the merit of his award. Any Nobel peace prize an American gets is an honor & privilege .

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

you have no respect for yourself & see everyone as a mirror of yourself so all you see are losers. Obama did accomplish something what prize have you won since you think you are better than him. All that matters is being a winner. Miracles happen & he knows how to attract them. Republcans attract 911, Katrina, our money losing money & when the reps. leave office the country is always worst & the leave us in debt. So Obams is a winner he knows how to attract miracles. Sad for you.

You mean black like past winners Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Henry Kissinger, Woodrow Wilson, etc?

ARE YOU GUYS A BUNCH OF RETARDS OR WHAT????

HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO ASK THESE SAME QUESTION!!!?!!??

I'm beginning to think YOU'RE A JOKE!!

good grief. Grow up already.

I never did, unless the category is in science.

Peace

WELL A LOT LESS PEOPLE NOW.