Alonso asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

--------What is a Moor?

At first i thought they where Arabian people, but now i find out they are black too?

What is their ethnicity?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors

The term "Moors" has referred to several historic and modern populations of Muslim (and earlier non-Muslim) people of Berber (the indigenous--or native-- peoples of North Africa west of the Nile Valley. They are discontinuously distributed from the Atlantic to the Siwa oasis, in Egypt, and from the Mediterranean to the Niger River. Today most Berber-speaking people live in Algeria and Morocco, The ancient Greeks knew them as "Libyans".), Black African and Arab descent from North Africa, some of whom came to conquer and occupy the Iberian Peninsula for nearly 800 years.

Moors are not distinct or self-defined people, but the appellation was applied by medieval and early modern Europeans primarily to Berbers, but also Arabs, and Muslim Iberians. As early as 1911, mainstream scholars observed that "The term Moors has no real ethnological value."

http://www.answers.com/topic/moors

North African Muslims (called by their Latin name Mauri — i.e., natives of Roman Mauretania) invaded Spain in the 8th century and, under the Umayyad and Almoravid dynasties, created the great Arab Andalusian civilization in such cities as Córdoba, Toledo, Granada, and Sevilla. The Christian reconquest of Spain under Alfonso VI began in the 11th century; from then until the Moors' final defeat in 1492 and for another century thereafter, many Moors settled as refugees in North Africa. In the 8th cent. the Moors were converted to Islam and became fanatic Muslims. They spread SW into Africa (see Mauritania) and NW into Spain.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There was no one ethnicity or color for "Moors," a term that once referred to Muslims from a variety of places -- Africa, North Africa, Iberia (modern Spain and Portugal, where, of course, they mixed with Europeans).

Much confusion has attended this term. I've offered a site to get you started, but you should do much more serious research in books.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.