Is this 'normal' with Folding Bikes...?

After years of riding a full size bike, I've been tryin' a nice and good looking folding... the handling and the weight are the strong points, but the physical effort to make some advance, no to mention the low speed, are really important shortcomings... I've been said that this is the result of its... show more After years of riding a full size bike, I've been tryin' a nice and good looking folding... the handling and the weight are the strong points, but the physical effort to make some advance, no to mention the low speed, are really important shortcomings...
I've been said that this is the result of its small and fat 16" tires... that its because of the up-right position when riding.... that its because its not a recognized brand like Brompton...and the list of reasons goes on, so I'd like to know if all 16" foldings have these bad aspects as part of their 'charm'?
Thank you all Bike people!