Rob K
Rob K asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Phillies Game 3 Starter Choices?

So the question is still out there on whom the Phillies will start Game 3 of the Rockies series in Colorado. JA Happ and Joe Blanton both pitched an inning of work yesterday; and now Pedro Martinez believes he could step in and pitch -- even welcoming the idea of snow Saturday.

JA Happ - 12-3, 2.93 ERA

Joe Blanton - 12-8, 4.05 ERA (ERA under 3.00 since July)

Pedro Martinez - 5-1, 3.63 ERA

Happ was 12-4, sorry about that.

It's now official; Pedro Martinez is starting Game 3.... not so sure I agree with that as Pedro often struggles in the first inning. Every run in the playoffs is important.

Favorite Answer

If Happ has no issues with the bruise on his leg from the come backer the other night, I would go with him.

Otherwise, I would go with Blanton.

With the temp projected in the 20's, I don't think using Pedro would be a good idea.

On hindsight, I would have gone Pedro game 2 and hopped that Ms Hamels had the baby in time for Cole to rejoin the team and pitch in game 3.

EDIT: Now with the game pushed back, Happ gets the ball in game 3... and Lee is penciled in for game 4!!

WHY did Charlie use both Blanton and Happ yesterday? He's been making some pretty questionable decisions lately...

I'll bet you anything that Pedro starts Game 3. I don't agree with that- I'd start Happ (well if I had any input, Happ would have started Game 1 or 2), but Charlie isn't thinking that way, apparently.

GO WITH PEDRO