Daisy f asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Please can i have some advice on new tb horse ?

Hi , i am in the process of purchasing a 7yo tb horse who has done all the basics and now is ready to be brought on further. She is not full tb she is only tbxcob so does not have the common tb traits. She is perfectly well behaved and will quite happily trot in a huge open field without pulling or trying to go , she is also has a very soft mouth and pulls up very easily , the only problem we have is actually stopping as she does not like to stop and stand still , she will chuck her head about then carry on walking , and as i would like to later on do p.c and competitions this is a bit of an issue so could i please have some advice on how to train her to be patient and stand still when i ask ? thankyou very much x

Favorite Answer

TB's (and part TB's) are animated breeds that often require a bit more mental challenge. I suggest adding rigor to your workout's, size-changing circles, caveletti work, TONS of transitions between and WITHIN the gaits, serpentines, etc. Integrate dressage into your arena work. Really keep your horse mentally engaged. When you do ask for halts, ask her to stand for mere seconds and then send her forward. Don't give her the opportunity to fuss and don't react either.

Asking hot breeds to back when they don't stand patiently is counter productive. They sense your frustration, your elevated heart rate, and your impatience and they respond accordingly by acting fussier. Keep her active and mentally engaged -- don't just ride the rail. Gradually increase the amount of time you halt for, but be proactive. If you sense she is getting impatient and will begin rooting/pacing, send her forward before she seizes the opportunity.

The entire time, keep your brain focuses and your emotions controlled. They are incredibly sensitive. If you become frustrated, dismount, hit the trails, or work on a different skill. Try not to spend too much time focused on one skill. Work transitions, then bend, then elasticity at the canter, then halts, and so on and so forth. Keep her on her toes and she won't have time to fuss.

And finally, to be frank, it may take years for her to become "patient" and stand still. You may consider disciplines/organizations/competitions that are better suited to your horses' talent. As a high schooler, I showed a Anglo-Arab (TB/Arab) high school equestrian team, 4-H, and USDF. She was bottom of the barrel at every equestrian team and 4-H show because they required we stand and wait forever! She wasn't a horse that was meant to stand forever. When we started working on dressage, she excelled. She is retired showing Intermediarre II and ranked Nationally.

If you find that you are compelled to show at Pony Club shows, disregard the protocol most riders recognize. If your horse is made to stand in line before and after performing, do what you need. Walk her, circle her, do some lateral work, and engage that brain. Blow everyone out of the water when you perform. Most judges will consider you knowledge of your horses' needs and your performance in ranking you. I had judges publicly commend me.

Best of luck!

Repitition is key. When you ask her to halt relax your whole body, sink into the saddle and squeeze the reins very gently. If she tosses her head play with the bit and say " Woah ". Walk her straight toward a fence when you are asking her to halt. She can't run threw it, she will have to halt. Just work on that for a long time. And make everything you do, vocal. Leading her if you want to halt, pull her lead rope gently and say " Halt " eventually you will be able to do voice commands and she will respond ( this is very usefull for lunging/free lunging/ liberty work )

To be patient is a very hard skill to be able to master. When you get frustrated leave the area in which is getting you upset. Its the best thing for you and the horse. If you are on her back, let her walk while you take deep breaths and count to ten. Then do it again, and one more time. If she keeps walking when you ask for a halt, tightly bend her to the right and then the left, then ask again. She won't like the tiny circle you made her do and hopefully she will just listen. Don't get a harsher bit, that is the worst thing and I have seen horses mouths ruined because of it. It helps temperarily and then the problem gets worse. If anything get a gentler bit so you won't be afraid of applying firm pressure to her mouth. Another good idea would be to try and get her to collect and frame her neck up a bit. That way you have a good feel for her mouth at all times ( not hanging on it, but don't let her think she can take off whenever )

Just try being as patient as possible. I am surprised that at seven years old she still has baby problems like that. Its fine though, just be repetitive and she will figure it out :)

Source(s): owner of a 4 year old Tb ( Problem ) Horse Trainer

Work with her standing still on the ground. Either in long lines, on the lunge or in hand. If you know how to long line (or have someone who does) that is my choice as the best way. Start with asking for a very short stop. On the lines it is not so annoying when she moves around and messes with her head. Stand absolutely firm and release no pressure on the lines until she stands. When you are first starting out the instant she stands still release pressure to reward her and have her walk on. Increase the time you are asking her to stand still (always with no pressure on the lines at the halt unless she walks forward into it and then be a rock and let her figure out how to take off the pressure by stopping and even backing a step if she needs to) before asking her to walk on. Keep at it until she will stand quietly for 10 - 15 minutes. Then move on to repeating the exercise under saddle. Be firm but patient. She will quickly learn that standing still is much more comfortable than trying to move about. PS. I have found that with the TB's they generally like to move so asking them to keep moving when they do not want to stand is not much of a "punishment" and may actually reinforce the behavior.

• Adele

I had the very same problem with my tb mare. She would not stand still for more than 1/2 second. To keep it simple: Practice making her stop and step backwards. Every time you stop her squeeze your legs and make her take a couple of steps back. Reptition is key, and believe me it will work. My horse will stop on a dime and stand now too. Good luck!!!

If she's "chucking her head" that makes me think that you are asking her to stop with your reins. When I ask my horses to stop, I sit deep, and tighten the muscles of my hips and abdomen so that my seat no longer "follows" the horse's movement. I then also squeeze with my thighs, and I stop my elbows from following the movement of the horses head. I only apply pressure to their mouth with the reins as a last resort! And be sure to release the pressure on your horse's mouth as soon as they respond (meaning as soon as they begin to halt, which is way before they are immobile).

Once you are sure you are using your aids correctly, your problem may be solved. If not, I suggest you use positive reinforcement. That means when you ask her to stop, and she stops, you give her a little piece of carrot from your pocket. She'll get the hang of that VERY quickly! After a while, give her the carrots only sometimes, but praise her every time. This way, she will WANT to do as you ask!

We should never take our horses' generosity for granted, but praise them often!

Good luck!

When she has stopped and tries to keep moving make her walk anywhere but forwards, every time she moves make her go backwards or side ways but don't let her go forwards. If she won't stop to a halt pull her in a really tight circle and then ask her to stop again, you might have to do that a few times.

• cermak

howdy I actually have a TB Gelding approximately sixteen.a million, I even have him approximately 4 years now.whilst i bought him he grow to be rather underweight and only mandatory to be bulked up slightly. i accompanied suggestion of my vet on weight gaining supplementations and a plan by utilising a chum who owns a driving college to get him lower back on the right song. as i bought him popping out of the wintry climate i only assumed it grow to be a mixture of a few issues like unsuitable feed and parts and destructive hay high quality, and so on. he progressively gained weight and by utilising summer season grow to be being delivered into artwork besides the indisputable fact that each and every wintry climate because of the fact he's taking a terrible turn for the worst . I even have had assorted attempt carried out, blood, checked for coronary heart murmur, tooth, each and every thing somebody ought to think of of. even have been given 3 diverse vets comments over a 2 three hundred and sixty 5 days era devoid of excitement. rather i spent a fortune on attempt suitable of the diversity weight benefit help & nutritional supplementations and so on devoid of success. each and every wintry climate he nevertheless looses subject and am baffled by utilising what it must be as is my vet !

I am having to teach my thoroughbred mare the same thing. You make the right thing to do easy and the wrong thing to do difficult. If she doesnt want to stop then let her go but on your terms. Get her feet moving. Everytime you want to stop and she doesnt make her back up, turn circles, anything to just get her feet moving. Eventually she will want to stop but dont let her stop when she wants to. Make her stop when you want her to. She will get the idea eventually.

If you have the same problem while mounting like I do keep the same concept in mind. Have her tacked up with a lunge line and lunge whip. If your horse moves everytime you start to get on her make her move out and lunge a few circles then try to get on her again. It will take consistancy but eventually she will get the idea. It will be much easier for her to stand still then for her to move.

Source(s): Experience... too many horses lol

WAT EVERY 1 ELSE EAID, ONLY B WARNED THEY CAN COST MORE IF SHE/HE HAS A TB STOMACHE LOL