Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

How long must you be drug free before becoming a cop?

Im 23 years old and the last time i did drugs was about 3 months ago, i smoked marijuana at least 50 times im my youth but it was mostly pure pressure. I have also drinked alcohol before the legal age. I really really really want to become a cop, how long to I have to wait before I can apply, and once i do apply will i have a chance. I have heard that you must be clean for a year. Yes i have made mistakes but im a changed man.

Favorite Answer

That's what we need: Cops who bow to peer pressure.

If you really really want to be a cop, you need to really, really follow the law.

• 6 years agoReport

It wasnt peer pressure... IDIOT. It was PURE pressure. when the smoke come from a gravity bong its pure pressure. learn to read...

• J.W.

Different police departments have different policies or standards pertaining to applicants and past drug use. For example, some departments won't hire you if you've used marijuana more than a certain number of times (20 or 25 for example) regardless of how long it has been since you've last used it, and some departments would still consider you even if you've used marijuana many times as long as it has been at least a certain number of years (3 or 5 for example) since you've last used it.

At twenty three, I would say you don't possess the verbal capabilities(low as they are) to become a police officer. However, marijuana stays in the system for about thirty days and most places don't do hair tests.

I believe many departments do require a lie-detector test though, so check to see if the departments you want to go to use those before you bother to go through the academy. Also, any DUI's and you won't get the job as well.

Hopefully you won't be another *** hole cop, but judging by your literacy my hopes for that are low.

Just remember, no matter how many times they ask you. Even when they say "not even once!?" or "just a little?". Always say no, I've never done any drugs.

Smoking 3 months ago doesn't make you a changed man, stay sober for a year and ask this question again. We already have enough crappy cops.

Long enough to pass the urine test.

You certainly write like a cop.

Half the cops I know have been users on duty. A few have been caught.

If you weren't caught (on the record) 30 days will usually let you pass the urine test. Not sure how long for the hair follicle test but it is rarely used.

Cops get the best pot too.