job search advice:how to increase my chances of getting a job across the country?

I am so discouraged. I graduated from college in August but I still do not have a job. Despite the fact that I have been looking since January. I currently live in California. I went to school in Pennsylvania, though, and loved it. As a result, I am only interested in jobs in the Philadelphia/ New Jersey area. How do I increase my chances of landing an entry level job in Philly, if I'm not even currently there? Is there a job agency you advice me to submit my resumes to? If so, links would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have been looking for jobs on Careerbuilder (CB) and on my school's alumni job search site. Would I be better off just focusing my search on one of these sites? If you don't recommend CB or my school's site, which site do you recommend? Should I put that I am willing to relocate under "objectives" in my resume?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Note: please, if you are just going to leave a rude/ dumb comment will you please just keep it moving? Just because you're bored doesn't give you a free pass to violate YA and YA members.

• garyg7
    Favorite Answer

California to Philadelphia is too far to conduct a real job search. Do you have any friends or relatives with whom you could stay while looking for a job? You really should get close enough that if someone calls you on a Monday and wants to interview you on Wednesday that you could get there.

Saying that you are willing to relocate may scare off potential employers who want somebody to start soon.

You should list a local address and phone number on your resume. See if you can use a friend or relative's address. (These days, very few employers will contact you by mail, but you need an address to show them.) You can get a cell phone with a local area code. Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a pre-paid phone. When you set up the service, use a local zip code and you will get a local area code.

If the job search takes a long time, you could consider moving from one friend or family member to another every couple of weeks so you don't wear out your welcome. If you are 100% certain that you want to live in the Philadelphia/NJ area, you could move all of your belongings and store them while you are living with friends or family. that way you don't have to ask for time off just to go back to California just to pack up your clothes, etc.

I hope this helps.

Gary