How are people having "great weddings" for under 5K?

Is this simply a matter of location? Because I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to make my wedding reception cost less then 7 grand - but we are having it 90 minutes north of New York City. We researched literally every venue location in the area and couldnt find anything cheaper. We even cut our guest... show more Is this simply a matter of location? Because I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to make my wedding reception cost less then 7 grand - but we are having it 90 minutes north of New York City. We researched literally every venue location in the area and couldnt find anything cheaper. We even cut our guest list down to 75.

Now, I know that everyone is going to suggest a park or a backyard...but this requires rentals. Tables/tents/silverware/porta potties etc. We did the math on all of this and found that it would cost nearly the same if not more, unless we cooked our own food (which won't really work being that we'll be kind of busy that day).

Am I missing something? Is everyone who's having an affordable wedding having a "pot luck" (which, by the way, is not something we're willing to even consider). I'm being completely serious here, I would love to save money if it's possible.

Thank you!