Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Nancy Pelosi third in line to the presidency?

I had to check through the Internet to make sure my facts were right.

But the California airhead is third in line should anything happen to the president and vice president. You won't find anyone who dislikes Obama and Biden more than me. But to think Nancy of "I want to save the world, I want to save the world!!" fame, might inherit the highest office, is worst than imagining Michael Moore in drag.

• Nikki
    Favorite Answer

Scary, isn't it? And Biden's second. And all those loon's wouldn't about Palin a heartbeat away. I trust a rifle totin', self-sufficient Alaskan woman over they coastal lib-wussssies any day.

• JerH1

What I find more worrisome is that the President Pro Tempore of the Senate is 4th in line - that's a position that has generally been held by the oldest, most senile member of the Senate. While Sen. Byrd seems mostly there mentally, I have trouble imagining a 91-year old guy being able to handle the office of President.

• All the Republicans out there had better do all they personally can to protect President Obama because with the line of succession as it is every step away from President Obama is someone who will be worse and worse for Republicans. If anything happens to President Obama that would be the end of the Republican party and rightly so.

This is a list of the current presidential line of succession[1], as specified by the United States Constitution and the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (3 U.S.C. § 19) and subsequent amendments to include newly created cabinet officers.

The names change but the order doesn't:

# Office Current Officer

1 Vice President Joe Biden

2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi

3 President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd

4 Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

5 Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner

6 Secretary of Defense Robert Gates[2]

7 Attorney General Eric Holder

8 Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar

9 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

10 Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke

11 Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis

12 Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius

13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan

14 Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood

15 Secretary of Energy Steven Chu

16 Secretary of Education Arne Duncan

17 Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki

18 Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano

Congress had a 20% approval score, and it have been given bumped as much as 31%, in January, quickly it is going to hit all-time low returned, there is not any doubt approximately, .... there are a number of indignant Democrats all properly, ..... I artwork with them, in the past they have been all occupied with skill of the Obama Presidency, now the sensation is resembling biting right into a bitter lemon.... while all and sundry theory they have been getting a Peach!

Ol' Guard is incorrect when he states that Gerald Ford became president as a result of the 1947 Succession Act...on two counts

1) Gerald Ford became Vice-President as a result of the 25th Amendment, ratified in 1967, which allowed Richard Nixon to select Ford as a replacement for Vice-President Spiro Agnew.

2) At the time of his nomination to become President, Ford was NOT Speaker of the House, he was the MINORITY LEADER of the House.

As it is true, that Ford aspired to become Speaker, he never had a chance to be elected Speaker, as the Republicans did not have a majority in Congress.

Source(s): I am a Presidential Historian.

that would be correct.

§ 19. Vacancy in offices of both President and Vice President; officers eligible to act.

(a)

(1) If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is neither a President nor Vice President to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President, then the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, upon his resignation as Speaker and as Representative in Congress, act as President.

(2) The same rule shall apply in the case of the death, resignation, removal from office, or inability of an individual acting as President under this subsection.

since Nancy Pelosi is currently our speaker of the house, the democrat from San Francisco would indeed become the president of the United States were something to simultaneously happen to Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Source(s): Presidential succession act of 1947--it's how Gerald Ford became president.

A very bad night mare of even thinking about micheal moore in drag!

As to having her so close to becoming president I think it is now time for every one to pray to who ever they believe in so that never happens to this country!

I think Pelosi in 2016 will make you even more afraid. Trust me... it's coming!

I think she is doing a good job now and she is not scary.

• logan

Yeah, well there is nothing anyone can do about it. It's law. That is how our system works. Believe me, there has been some pretty undeserving people in her seat that could have ended up in the oval office.