If homosexuals go to hell, for not turning from their sin, will obese go to hell for not turning from gluttony?

I do not believe the following to be true...but, I want a fundamentalist's view...it seems they like to pick and choose which scriptures to follow...so, how do you explain away the fact that so many church goers are overweight? Will they go to hell for continuing to sin?

If someone dies fat, obviously, they did not turn from their sin of gluttony. So, from a literal interpretation of scripture, they are going to hell. Correct?

Proverbs 23:2 even goes so far as to say, "put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony."

II Peter 1:6 says that a Christian must have self-control...an obese person obviously does not exercise self-control

Philippians 3:19 says"...their God is in their stomach...their mind is on earthly things."...they are not of God

And, I Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "your body is a temple of God...honor God with your body

additional reading Proverbs 23:20-21, II Peter 1:5-7, II Timothy 3:1-9...all about your body, self control, etc...

Given that obesity a big problem facing America...and that unrepentant sinners/gluttons go to hell...why don't churches rail against fat people?

Update:

My point being, fundamentalists spend so much time picking on the supposed sin of homosexuality...but, they ignore the other sins that are so more prevelant in our society.....there are a lot more obese people than there are gay people.....just saying.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I"m not a fan of your assumption that all fat people are gluttons. Some have medical conditions others suffer from mental illness.

That being said, yes gluttony is a sin, it's a prevalent one in our society and it absolutely could damn someone to hell.

I agree people focus way too much on the sin of homosexual sex. Here is something I said and continue to say on facebook in homosexuality is a sin/sex is a sin threads:

I've been on facebook about two years. I've lost count of the homosexual and abortion threads. There's a lot of sins listed in the bible. Here's a list of some and the number of posts I've seen on them:

Wrath: 0

Pride: 0

Lust: 2

Adultery: 1

Liars: 0

Deceit: 0

You get the idea. Why then the focus on these two issues? I propose the following reasons:

1. They are 'hotter' topics and therefore create more discussion (sometimes with a positive reason for doing so, sometimes merely to stir the pot)

2. The vast majority of the population is not guilty of either one (assuming of course one believes both are sins)

3. The vast majority of the population is guilty of the others I listed.

It's so much easier to point a finger rather than examine ourselves. A few people in the forums essentially admit that, and God bless them for it. To the rest I direct you to our Lord Christ Jesus:

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

- John 8:7

and

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?" - Matthew 7:2-4

and in Peter:

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." - 1 Peter 4:8

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The point is they didn't turn from their sins ( and not just homosexuality but others as well). This includes gluttony (not necessarily a little overweight. Some people have health issues), drunks, gamblers, fornicators.... Simply put it we are ALL sinners and deserve to go to hell. This is where Jesus comes along.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not Ignoring it at all, just as much a sin as any other, But here is the thing that you forgot.

Do Obese people Rallly to get activist judges to Force legistaltion against the will and vote of the people to shove acceptance of obesity down our throats ? answer : NO they don't Thats why.

Do Obese people rally to get legislation to have preaching against obesity classified as a hate crime using all sorts of organizations Funded by many Politicval groups to Classify the Bible as a hate literature as it is in Canada and Switzerland ? Answer NO.

Thats why.

Gluttony and Homosexuality are sin but one isn't cramming it down our throats the other is

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Most fat people in America are poor or they shop like the poor and eat cheap food (which makes people fat). A healthy and nutritious diet is an expensive luxury in this country.

That is also why being thin and cut is so glamorous in this country too, it's a sign of wealth.

Back in the old days, people who had a thick layer of fat was seen as a sign of wealth, and they were considered the sexy one's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

First of all, there is more to the sin of gluttony than just overeating. It is an attitude of greed and overindulgence in all areas.

Furthermore, there are many factors that contribute to obesity and some of them are medical so we can't make a blanket judgment about it. Sodomy, on the other hand, in sinful ... period.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, obese people could quit the obesity if they really put their mind to it. It isn't impossible. But is it a sin in itself to deny two people of love? I don't think homosexuals go to Hell for being homosexual at all. Are heterosexuals any better at denying pleasures? But if it's temptation you're talking about then everyone will have sinned at one time or another.

So yeah, probably.

• xaxorm
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

"...will obese go to hell for not turning from gluttony?"

If we could only get that idea out there in the bible belt, it would do wonders in reducing their obesity and diabetes rates!

• 1 decade ago

You bet. Each sin is as great as the next, isn't it?

EDIT: I'm really, really poor. College student poor. Eat maybe once a day if I'm lucky poor. Yet I'm not fat. I have a pretty great diet, and it's cheap (vegetarian). In my hometown, pretty much everyone is poor. I think average income is like $16k. Yet I know a lot of poor non-obese people.

Just saying.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes! Just like gay is always a choice, so is obesity! Those fatties should think next time before they choose to go and get diabetes.

• 1 decade ago

I'm fat and I love gluttony!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.