Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Building a safe heat emitting circuit.?

Want to build a circuit that will produce light heat that can be touched without harming anyone. I am trying to produce an effect of warmth on a project and was interested in building this from scratch. I know that resistance produces heat so I was wondering what a safe approach would be to putting together a circuit with resistors to produce low level heat through a wire. I was thinking something along the lines of a heat mat but was hoping I could make my own into a specific shape.

This is going to be used for a simple application nothing fancy that would require custom manufacturing of a component. I need something that will just feel warm to the touch to add some sensible heat to an art project.

I was considering heat tape like the kind they use to melt snow from roofs and gutters or to keep pipes from freezing. Is there any way I could build my own safely without creating a fire hazard? They only sell these in 10' and 25' and I think 53' pre-wired lengths.

• Anita
    Favorite Answer

it depends on the object itself

how hot it gets and how fast it will get there is a function of how much power is dissipated

so a thermostat system may be needed

a safer system is PTC thermistor material

these

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=t...

are custom manufactured with any electrical properties

Anita