What is the difference between Stage 1 and stage 2 baby food?

My daughter will be 7 months old in 9 days. She started solids at 5.5 months, she loves all of the stage 1 foods and eats a whole container at a time. I feed her solids 2-3 times a day. She doesn't have any teeth yet. I know the stage 2 are bigger. Is that the only difference? Is it okay to give her those now?

And also when can I start giving her finger foods? Like the little puffs and things like that? Do I need to wait till she has teeth?

Thanks!!! =)

Best Answer

the size of the jar and the varieties. The consistency is no different. Buy the stage 2's and get more for your money then only scoop out half of the container into a bowl and feed your baby. If the baby wants more, of course feed it to her. But if she doesn't you can at least put the container back in the fridge and save for later.. Little puffs and yogurt melts are perfect for her age now but hold off on other things until she starts popping some teeth through.

Stage 1 sweet potatoes and so on are the same as stage two. No difference except the size. I actually contacted Gerber and asked. They confirmed this so I began buying stage 2 foods and put half of it in a small bowl while saving the second half in the fridge ( it is safe to do this as long as the second half is used within 24 hours). This saved a lot of money since stage 1 containers are half the size and about 20 cents more.

The puffs will dissolve in their mouth you don't have to wait for teeth, and 7mos is old enough for those kinds of snacks. The only difference with the different stages is the consisitency. It gets thicker and chunkier. But thats about it. There's more variety as they get older but I mean, but thats all. Stage 2 right now should be fine. I started my son on solids at 5mos or so too, and then he went thru them kinda fast. The general rule of thumb for the different stages is stage 1 is from newborn and older, and stage 2 from about 6mos, and then stage 3 from 8mos. But each baby is different so she will let you know when its time to try other foods. But your doing a good job momma!

Source(s): I have a son who is turning 1 next week!

With some foods ( like gerber and heinz ) some of the stage 2's are the same sized jar they just have more textures&flavors as opposed to the stage 1's.

& LOL at the moron complaining about when she fed her daughter - can you read? She didn't say YEARS, it says months.

And there's nothing wrong with that my daughter was started on solids at 4 months by doctors orders.

The stage 2 foods are just bigger and they have more flavor options, that is it. You can give those to her now. You might want to wait a little longer for puffs. You dont need to wait until she has teeth though. They melt in your mouth.

hi there, my little boy is now 15 months. we gave him stage 2 after when he seemed to be eating more finger foods. the only difference is the lumps really. she should be fine with stage 2 especially if shes eating finger foods.

try as many different thing as you can, but make sure they are dissolvable things if she doesnt have many teeth.

The stage 2 foods tend to be mixtues of foods (like green bean casserole, instead of just green beans). Once you know your childs tolerates all the singular foods well, you can move on to mixed foods. You don't need to wait for teeth to give cooked apple or fruit bits (soft enough to mush with their tongue and chopped very small) cheerios or teething biscuits. They gum them up pretty well. Ask your pediatrician, its worth a call to their office.

I think she would do fine on stage two foods. I don't think there are chunks, it's just a little thicker

Unreal... solid foods at 5.5 yrs. old? And i suppose you thought breast feeding for 90 days was sufficient as well?

Babies when grown have nothing but health problems due to being fed crap and things they shouldn't eat at an early age.

You're off to a good start...