Are all languages save English gendered?

I am an English speaker with 3 + years of French Classes and I know a bit of German also.

I heard most languages are gendered ... English isn't. Are all languages gendered save Engish?

I heard Turkish isn't?

Japanese?

Which are and which aren't.

...

Thanks.

Best Answer

A lot of languages are gendered indeed. Though, I can't possbibly tell you if ALL languages are gendered, since I don't know ALL languages :-).

But definitely all romanic and germanic languages (expect English) are. However, I know a little Swedish (which is also a germanic language) and there, you've got something special too: They do have two different genders in Swedish - however, it's not like in most other languages male and female. It's more like... the third gender in German (neuter). They've got "en" and "ett" words. Like "en stol" (a chair) or "ett bord" (a table). But the special thing is, that these two genders aren't really genders. They are actually both neuter. It's not like in German, for example, where people tried to give things their REAL gender. Like "der Mann" (the man --> male) or "die Frau" (the woman --> female). In Swedish, it's more like as if people would have randomly chosen two groups and divided all the nouns in these two groups. Also, while in German, we have about the same number of male-nouns, female-nouns, and neuter-nouns, in Swedish you've got 80% en-nouns and only 20% ett-nouns. So, I think Swedish is one of the best languages to be compared with English. It's sorta like a pre-stage of English.

I find that it heavily depends most on what your base language is. It is easy for those who already speak a Germanic language, but it may be harder for those speaking a non-Indo European language. For those who find it as a hard language to learn, it often has to do with the idioms and such, but every language has its own idioms. Many believe that the sundry Romance words in the English vocabulary (which actually are in many other Germanic languages, although not to the extent as in English) make the language tougher to learn. The truth is, English is a great language for non-native speakers to learn for that very reason. For those from Romance speaking lands, the Latin and Greek vocabulary gives English that feel of familiarity. However, for those who come from a Germanic speaking land, the grammar and vocabulary share quite a lot in common. Old English was influenced by Old Norse and Celtic languages to a high degree, which is why it has often been said for the folks in northern and western Europe, it is more as remembering than learning a new language out of scratch. Some have even compared it to learning a new dialect with a lot of French vocabulary than learning a new language (it has been said that if you learn French and Dutch, you already know English). Frisian is another language with no word gender, or rather, no distinct word gender (the two genders are gendered and neutral, but that distinction has eroded into near nonexistance). Sometimes "it", which also means "it", of course, is used as "the", but that is as close to word genders as you will find in Frisian. Unsurprisingly, Frisian is the closest living language to English, but also it is the only mutually intelligible language with English that remains.

No mostly the romantic languages (french, italian, spanish, portuguese, ect.) have the el - la thing. English is from a western german language brought by the anglo-saxons and does not have the gender specific words. Therfore most of the languages of the world do not have the gender specific words.

I don't think most languages have grammatical gender, but most languages have some type of noun classification system. Some treat nouns as classes like animate, inanimate, living, plants, etc. Others use classifiers to determine what type of noun it is, like Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Out of the languages that don't, virtually all have a declension system.

English is the only exception I know of.

You mean in terms Spanish (and I'm guessing other latin languages) of la/el for certain words based on what letter they end with (o or a, making the word 'male' or 'female' in Spanish)?

If that's what you mean, Japanese isn't. They do have a few gender specific pronouns (i.e. 'Watashi' for I tends to be used more by females, though males do you it and 'Boku', also for I, is used by males. Mostly at least.)

• Turkish isn't and in fact alot of middle eastern languages are not. Japenese, Chinese and Mongolian are all symbols and so it is hard to classify them as gendered or not.

Japanese, no, well not usually. You have personal pronouns for genders in the third person. But, I think that in general they mean a lover nowadays. nouns in Japanese do not decline for gender. There are no articles in Japanese. Verbs do not conjugate according to our rules of person and number ( gender doesn't matter in that way in Japanese.)

Women have their own speech and phrasing, words considered to be theirs. Men too have their way of talking.

In the main, I don't think the language as a whole is sensitive to gender in the way that Spainish is for example. And yet there is a linguistic seperation. a distinction in speech, etc.

• ?

Ich weib nicht, wenn Sprache gendered, ich schatze, dass ich zur Schule zuruck gehen und herausfinden muss