How long until Afghanistan and Iraq are able to govern their countries without American Military troops?

I understand our need to be in both countries; but when will those countries be able to handle the rag tag Taliban and Al Quadia forces? What percent of the countries security is dependent on USA? I remember S Vietnam; and the USA did almost 100% of the fighting; there did not seem to be an effort for S Vietnam to handle its own problems. Yes....I know they were facing the Chinese.

Liberals make me laugh....I wasn't aware we were losing 1000 troops a year in Japan and Germany.

Best Answer

Why don't we ask the Russians how they think it's gonna turn out? They tried it before we did and they failed.

I'm a Veteran and I don't think it's going to go in our favor. The terrain alone is a huge obstacle for any force to contend with. Besides that, lets turn the tables for a minute. What would we do if say the Chinese showed up on our soil making demands, brandishing weapons, dropping bombs...etc? We'd come unglued, that's what would happen! It would be different if we were actually trying to catch the 9/11 terrorists responsible, but it doesn't appear to be what we're doing. Our military are heroes and should not be put in harms way for the sake of nation building, spreading Democracy (especially since we're a Constitutional Republic), or to secure commodities. Our forefathers warned us about foreign entanglements and nation building, we should listen.

So where is your proof? Just saying so doesn't make it so. I can tell moving stories about how fanatical terrorists have spilled the blood of innocents and blown up their own people...blah blah blah. Destruction, war, pain, terror, hatred, oppression, rhetoric, it's all evil, no matter who is doing it. There is really no "good or righteous" side here. It is a clash of religions, respect, and freedoms. You ask the question with such rhetoric, such hatred, what kind of answer do you expect? I wish the world would just wake up and realize that there are good people everywhere, if we only take the time to look. That war is illogical and counterproductive. The problem is that no one will yield, because it will be seen as a weakness, so we continue this vicious cycle, and probably will forever. Unfortunately, the one brave person who does try to yield and compromise will probably be taken advantage of by the evil people who think their way is right. Why can't we just live in our perspective countries and leave everyone alone?

What about leaving those countries?

They won't stop hating America until America has stopped invading their country. I think that's pretty obvious even for you Americans!

What's the reason for America to go there?

The government? C'mon you can't be that stupid. If we had to conquer every country where the government is not paying any attentions to human rights we would have to conquer half of the world and America at first!

So why did you go there? Al Qaeda? Your government knew they would be hiding in one of the other muslim countries around them!

The answer is: OIL! You went there to steal those people's oil

Every American should get that by now.

But for you stupid Americans there is nothing better than a simple mind of the world: We are the goods all Arabs bad!

"We have to teach those poor animals to get rid of their burden Islam and get become free until they are all pro American!"

But they ar enot animals,they have their own culture and their culture is Islam.That's a little bad for the seperation of state and church but we cannot do nothing about it.

YOu say you care about the ppor? So get your f***** troops out of there and send troops by the UN, I don't want our beautiful world to be destroyed by you fat and ignorant Americans.

Iraq has been govrening themselves since June 2004.

Are you awarte the being able to govren yourself does not necessirally mean that you are strong enough to defend yourself?

Another thing to remember is that South Vietnam fell to a conventional invasion by the North Vietnamese army.

The sooner we get more help over there to train Afghans to be their own soldiers and protect their own people and kill off terrorists- 3 years if we do it right. We need more Air strikes! Alot more! Get the average Afghan people out of the mountains and blow up the mountains where the evil lives.

Congrats for coming out of your coma. Iraq is having troops pulled and Iraqi forces have almost 100% of the security covered. If you had paid attention for the last year you would have seen that. Afghanistan is the next big surge and I bet if Obama stops rotating on his thumb that will be over in a year or 2 at most.

Several decades and several millions of dollars.

We still have American troops in Korea.

The Afghani government is corrupt from the police on up. The Taliban is part of the government!

So I would say never there.

Iraq has a better chance.

Never the people will fall back to the extremists the day we leave so we might as well pack up and leave now. They are willing to give there life for religious beliefs but not freedoms so sad.

It's very doubtful, especially in Afghanistan. It appears as though we've entered another never-ending Vietnam.