skin bleaching and tans; opinions?

why is it that when black people or other races bleach their skin to become lighter, people say its self hate but when white people risk getting skin cancer to make themselves tan its not made a big deal out of? im just wondering since it doesnt make sense because both things are equally harmful to your skin and your changing your appearance because its what you think is considered "beautiful".

btw this question is definitely not made to be racist in any way

Favorite Answer

You know, very good question. I myself have tanned in a tanning bed , knowing how harmful it is, just to get a nice dark tan. No one has ever said anything to me about "self hate" or trying to be someone I am not.

But your right, when I know of black people who use skin bleaching cream, they get told they are not staying true to themselves and are sell outs.

It is a complete double standard and I really don't understand why now that you asked?!?!

Regardless of what people/media say white beauty always has and always will be considered "the most beautiful." It is all around us. White girls with tans are NOT the same color or skin texture as a naturally darker skinned person. It looks like a tan not a natural skin tone. The girl will still look white and her skin tone will appear more sun kissed (though I see a lot with hideous leather face skin and orange glow..yuck) A person who bleaches their skin is seen as self hating because they are trying to make them self closer to the beauty ideal. Or as some think molding themselves after the white beauty and trying to erase their own ethnicity. People have always suffered for beauty. Skin color is an obvious indication of ethnic background. The darker the skin the "less beautiful." This is what is seen not only in white culture, but ethnic culture. Blacks, hispanics and asians view lighter skin as more beautiful. I am latina and can tell you all my latin family members want lighter skin, not darker. Lighter girls are seen as better looking even when they are not facially. Tanning is only popular in certain western cultures and it is not meant to look "ethnic", but exotic. The color of tanned skin is usually even something any girl with darker pigment will tell you is just not true. I don't think it is a matter of harm to the body as much as it is something that makes a woman feel more beautiful.

I personally would never, ever consider bleaching my skin. It is just so un--whatever. I love my skin color and do not want to do anything to change it. Those who bleach should not be surprised when skin cancer hits them. They will have gotten more than what they deserve. Since I cannot relate to tanning, I have no comment on it.

You know, I saw an episode of the "Tyra Show" about people bleaching their skin to be lighter. A lot of them said it was pretty much because of the fact that people made fun of their skin color a lot when they were younger. I think its sad that society has set a standard for what is beautiful and what is not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just wish some people could see the beauty in things instead of the negative!

SINCE WHEN DON'T WHITE PEOPLE SPEND MONEY TO TAN....MOST WHITE PEOPLE GO TO TANNING SALONS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T BE ALL SITTING IN DA SUN FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME! I'VE SEEN DA AFTERMATH, N IT AINT PURRTY! THERE ARE WAAAAAAAAAY MORE WHITE PEOPLE TANNING THEN BLACKS USING BLEACHERS! IT'S DEFINITELY DOUBLE STANDARD THOUGH!!!

IN MY OPINION, a white person tanning is not taking away from their WHITENESS! A black person bleaching skin, getn nose jobs, dying their hair blonde, wearing blue contacts etc. is saying I WANT TO LOOK WHITE! Now if a white person tanned to the point they're like orange, wore a fro, got lips, cheeks, and booty implants, then they'd be a disgrace also!!

The majority of blacks don't use that crap. I think they should be banned. Those responses from the "other" races are lame phishing expeditions to showcase a non-existent self hate problem. They can say what they want, but the overwhelming majority of black women are the most confident and beautiful women on Earth. This has been proven time and time again.

Source(s): "The Bringer of Social Peace"

What are you talking about? People make fun of people that go overboard tanning all the time. And honestly, tanning and bleaching your skin are quite a bit different. One is less extreme, being natural, while the other takes certain artificial steps.

edit: So I got a thumbs down for being logical. Gotta love humanity!

My opinion on this matter is to each his own.

There are people that is willing to risk cancer to get darker skin so be it it is their preference.

Also there are people who what to be lighter than they actually are so be it either way it is a risk.

The things we do to our self all in the name of BEAUTY....

Beauty comes at an expense.

Good Luck!

You have a point there. No one says anything negative about a white person wanting to be darker, but people of color catch hell if they try to lighten their skin. It's a double standard to say the least. Personally I feel that people can do what they choose for beautification. I can't bleach myself light enough to turn white, and I haven't seen a white person with a dark enough tan to be called black.

Its probably because a white person naturally tans out in the sun while black people who bleach their skin have to use chemicals or special medications like Michael Jackson did.