Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Do Braces Hurt While Getting Them On!?!?!?!?

im getting my braces in a few months and im really nervous. alot of my friends say they dont hurt at all.. but theres a handfull of others that say they hurt REALLY BAD! i dont know who to believe? please answer and tell me if they hurt and the worst part and everything i should know. also tell me if putting the red thing in ur mouth to stretch it out hurt? it looks like it stretches ur mouth out really far and it looks painfull. please answer! and i will choose best answers!

Favorite Answer

I've had braces twice and my ones i have on now i've had for two and a half years

I don't think they hurt while getting put on if you relax. I'm a huge baby and i was scared out of my mind! I tensed up and was expecting pain... But if you just chill and zone out (also helps if you close your eyes) you will be fine! There shouldn't be any pain just maybe a bit of discomfort as your mouth adjusts.

And nah, that stretcher thing is fine ... Its only in for like a minute. Personally, i thought that bit was fun being able to see so much of my mouth and stuff haha ... Its really not that bad

After appointments, when things change, there will be pressure, but normally your ortho will ask if its too much to cope with. You can also take painkillers if needed. Normally, its not pain as such, it just kinda feels a bit tight and its trickier to eat.

Oh, and about what you can and can't eat, I just eat what i want and what i think i can .. I still eat apples without cutting them, chew gum everyday, and eat toffee's (though they can be a bit scary haha)

All in all i think its just about how you handle things and how you respond. Mind over matter. If you work yourself up then you'll feel pain, but if you say to yourself "hey, this is all good!" you'll be sweet!

Good Luck! :D

I didn't have to get spacers for some reason. So I cant tell you about them but they don't hurt(so I've heard). They are just a little sore after. The colorful things are called bands. The brackets are the metal base on your teeth. I don't think they can put spacers and braces on on the same day. You can't get any part of the braces without the other 3 , (cement,brackets,bands,wires) But my advice,bring some chap-stick and don't drink a lot of water before you go. Here is what they do. First they take prints of your teeth. They put this dough thing on your teeth and you bite down and it turns to silly putty and in the other they put this nasty stuff in a tray that you bite down in. Then they take some x-rays you hold your mouth open with these metal tray's for a while that kinda gets annoying. Then they hold your mouth open with a rubber set (which is what I think you mean by the red thing because mine was red),and no it doesn't hurt it is just a little annoying, and they whiten your teeth. then they take a little point with cement on it, put on a dot and stick a bracket on. They do that with all of your teeth then they hold a little thing on each tooth to dry it. Then you getup and rinse out your mouth and pick your colors, they fit the wire, and move the bands around each corner of the bracket and done. But I recommend that you take some Tylenol as soon as you get home. I have them right now and don't worry, tightening isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, it didn't hurt a bit. I have done it 4 times.

Source(s): Braceface since April 09

In my experience it's not really what I'd call pain. More of a discomfort. Getting them on shouldn't hurt much- just be a little sore. The worst part is getting them tightened, which can cause some pain, but I can't say it's worse than a regular dental visit.

For advice I'd say make sure to floss good and brush good as well. It's easy for cavities to form while you have your braces on and avoiding areas.

I can't say that I know what the red thing you are talking about. I never had to do anything to stretch out my mouth. If you mean the rubber bands in your mouth then no they were no problem.

Source(s): Had braces for 2 years.

Getting them on doesn't hurt at all, but it will hurt a lot afterward, so eat soft food and use the pain killers your orthodontist suggests. Im on braces for the second time so I'm pretty experinced with the pain, some people get more pain than others though, so don't worry! Good luck!!! -Erin *~*

Ok, first things first. Getting them on doesn't hurt. Really. Having your mouth that wide while they put them on might hurt your lips if they're chapped, but it'll just make your mouth dry. Nothing to it.

Braces feel really weird when you first get them on. And I'm not gonna lie - you really can't eat a whole lot the week after you get them on. Soft things, like pudding, jello, mashed potatoes, milkshakes, et cetera, is what you'll be eating for a while. If you're feeling brave, try thick noodles or something to that effect.

Once you get used to having braces, you can eat anything. Literally. Except the things the orthodontist told you not to eat. ((I'm going to let you in on a secret - your orthodontist will tell you not to chew gum. And you probably shouldn't. But. If you make sure the gum you want to chew is sugarless (ex: Stride, Orbit, Trident) it won't stick to your braces. Another thing you should ask about - I didn't, and I wish I had - is gum for people with dentures. Perhaps if they won't stick to dentures, they won't stick to your braces? Just a thought. ^_^ ))

Other than that, use basic common sense for food. You should be good. ^_^

You might get rubber bands to help fix your teeth after you've had your braces for a while. The orthodontist will show you how he or she wants you to wear them.

Do it.

My teeth didn't move as fast as they should have because I didn't wear my bands. It cost me another 6 months. >.< Really, as much as a pain it is, be good and wear them as instructed.

In all honesty, braces really don't -hurt-. They'll ache or be sore when you go to get them readjusted, but I'm sure you'll be through it in no time. ^_^

Source(s): personal experience

Honestly, the process of getting them on doesn't hurt very much. But once they're on you start to feel the pain. It will hurt for a week at MOST. You'll get use to them and they won't hurt. But it hurts pretty bad every time you get them tightened, but that goes away within a couple of days. If they hurt take some pain relievers and only eat soft foods. Don't worry about it, they're a pain while you have them but once you get them off you'll be thankful for them. Oh, and getting them off doesn't hurt one bit (:

Source(s): I had braces for 3 years. If you have more questions just e-mail me (:

No they don't hurt at all! I got mine in november but i was only going for a consultation and then my dentist said he was going to put them on that night! It didn't hurt at all because the day before my friend went and got hers too and she said it didn't hurt either. The only thing that actually hurts for me is when he tightens the braces but the first night it does feel weird but you get used to them and the first couple tightening will hurt for about a week just eat soft food.No the red thing doesn't stretch your mouth and it doesn't hurt! GOOD LUCK!!!:)

they dont really hurt when getting them on. there is just this big machine in your mouth the whole time. for about 2 to 3 weeks, they hurt, because they are moving your teeth really fast. then they feel fine (once you get used to your new bite pattern) then whenever you get them tightened again, they hurt for a few weeks. dont worry. even if they do hurt you, which they probably wont, the pain isnt too bad, and it doesnt last forever. think of the result. you will have a pretty smile when your done!

Just braces? I know i had a bunch of othr contractions, which hurt, (it worthi it though =) ut braces? hey ere the easy part. it will be fuine. relax. They dont hurt really at all. Besides, you get to wear all the cool colors. Is actually kinda fun =) inever minded my braces....

Not a bit! :) Ummm.....you should know, your mouth MIGHT be sore soon afterwards. Do not overreact, and stay calm. It will not hurt much, I have had it twice, and I have survived. Don't listen to others, but again the experiences could be different. I don't think you will have a problem with it. Just don't freak out, and stay calm, and civilized! Hope this helped!

Source(s): My past experiences.