in the state of arkansas?

if i apply for food stamps, will they MAKE me file for child support from my ex who has been absent for 5 years? i dont want child support, because i dont want him to get visitation because he is unfit. my son has a dad now, but because of the economy, we are needing a little extra help right now.

Favorite Answer

If the people of the state of Arkansas are paying to care for your child, they have a right to go after the non-paying parent who should be making those payments. That is a separate issue from the rights to visitation. In order to be able to see his child, he has to go to family Court and prove that he is suitable to see the child.

Get in touch with your local Bar Association. They'll have a list of attorneys who handle family law issues. Many of them will give a free fifteen-minute consultation. If you line up your facts in an organized way, that might be all the time you need to get your questions answered.

If your ex can't be readily found, or has moved out of state, that might make a difference.