how long can leukemia last?

Is there a chance that someone could temporarily have leukemia, then it would be gone, and then it comes back? What kind of treatment do leukemia patients have? Can certain kinds of leukemia medication give the patient seizures or cause them to pass out, by any chance?

Favorite Answer

When you have leukemia, it doesn't just go away on its own. Spontaneous remissions almost never occur in any cancer, including leukemia. That being said, leukemia is treatable. I know more about the acute leukemias than the chronic leukemias (more common in older adults and quite rare in teens/children) so I'll keep my answer directed toward the acute leukemias AML & ALL. The treatment for AML/ALL is typically chemotherapy and steroids. There are 2 or 3 steps to the treatment depending on type. AML patients only receive the first two: remission induction and consolidation, while ALL patients go on to have maintenance chemo after for up to 2 years. Remission induction chemo does exactly what it says: the purpose is to put the leukemia into remission. This occurs over 1-3 months and has a high success rate after the first round and decreasing success in attempts 2 and 3. Induction chemo failed for my son the first two rounds but thankfully he went into remission after the 3rd round. Consolidation chemotherapy comes next once the patient is in remission. This takes about 3-7 months and the purpose is to "clean up" any remaining leukemic cells left in the body after remission. In patients with ALL, a third and final type of chemo is the maintenance phase. Maintenance chemo maintains the remission over a period of about 2 years - or as long as the patient's body can stand the chemo. After the months and months of treatment, it is still possible that the leukemia may relapse and come back. When a relapse occurs, treatment starts all over again. A bone marrow transplant is often recommended for patients who have relapsed or who have other and greater risk factors for relapse. My son is on the waiting list for a bone marrow transplant because he has had a previous cancer and previous chemotherapy that most likely caused his leukemia.

There are so many different medications a leukemia patient receives. I don't know about seizures but I know some may cause one to pass out. Some drugs that combat side effects of other drugs cause extreme fatigue which may allow a patient to sleep for a good part of each day while on the medication.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 3 year old son is a warrior who beat a Stage I FH Wilms' Tumour and Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and is still fighting hard against a Stage III Hepatoblastoma. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/warrioreli

I have an 86-yr ancient buddy who has had leukemia for approximately 25 years. She's very energetic and walks and is going out relatively plenty, greater than I do and I am 60 years more youthful than her.

I have leukemia and its my second time getting it and it takes bout 2 years to Finnish treatment but after I m done with this treatment. And if I relapsed again I m killing my self and I m only 14

The death rate for children with ALL has dropped nearly 60% in the last 30 years. ... Some patients receive long term chemotherapy with drugs that might include Ara-C

http://www.answers.com/topic/acute-lymphoblastic-l...

Source(s): GOD BLESS
  • Byrd

Leukemia is cancer and works the same as any cancer.