Kmart To Launch Online-Layaway Effort On Friday?

How great is this idea for both Kmart and Sears Holdings

Kmart announced plans to begin offering online layaway starting Friday, building on its successful in-store effort during the holidays last year as consumers looked to spread out payments on gifts.

The chain, owned by Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD), saw double-digit increases in layaways last year and Kmart said Tuesday that online searches for the word " layaway" more than doubled in August from a year earlier.

"We have an entire generation of customers that grew up shopping online," said Chief Marketing Officer Mark Snyder. "Launching online layaway at Kmart engages these customers by allowing them to spread their payments out over time and better plan their spending."

Online layaway is also available at the Sears chain.

Sears Holdings has been reporting slumping sales for some time, as discount shoppers have been going more toward chains like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) while department-stores in general have been reporting slumping results for some time.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story...

i feel with the moves Kmart and Sears has been making for the holdays this should bring in those shoppers. considering they are offering Layway for both online shoppers in store shoppers. then don't forget about the Christmas club saving program. that's what is going to be important this year..

americans know good value when they see one

Favorite Answer

I think it is an excellent idea, and I am waiting for Walmart to get back on the ball. They cancelled their entire layaway program a couple of years ago, and I think they have lost some business. We don't have any Kmarts here, so some people have moved their layaways to Sears or Target. I can understand how a store wouldn't want to have a physical in-store layaway. But I think on-line would be perfect!

Sounds like a usual type of idea.

So ... what, you own stock in those? It seems like you are trying to "sell" something.

btw this is Politics section. (But since both Kmart and Sears are basically Chinese outlet stores these days, I guess it is political after all.)

~

• Daniel

wow an online lay away this is just great!

pleas email me links to this story and third party analysis

• wrfine

Good idea I like it!

Source(s): Yes I do own stock in K-mart.

Ok, thanks for the info.

What, exactly, is your question?