Do you believe the Confederate flag symbolizes racism?

Do you believe the Confederate Battle Flag symbolizes racism? Yes or no.

Do you believe the Swastika symbolizes racism? Yes or no.

I know the history behind both, I am only asking Yes or No questions.

Best Answer

Neither of them were originally a symbol of racism. The Stars and Bars were simply a Southern symbol, and the swastika was actually a symbol of peace, I believe. They both just have very strong connotations. I believe the swastika is now a symbol of racism just because it's almost always used by white supremacist. However, I don't think the Confederate flag is at all - it's a symbol of heritage. The yankees who think everyone in the South is inbred and racist need to look around - some of the most racist people I've ever met have been from Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Maine.

So: Confederate flag, no; swastika, yes

• Karen

u know I'm sitting here reading all these answers and thinking to my self that u can always tell who went to college and who didn't. sorry i know it's harsh but it's true. they are the ones that are saying that the south left because of slavery. and that what the south was fighting for when that is what high school in the north taught them. what they don't realize is that almost all confederate soldiers couldn't even own slaves. so why would they fight for that if they couldn't even own them if they would have won? another thing they didn't teach in high school up north is that the south used free black units from the start of the war some of these units included The "Richmond Howitzers" and among others but unlike the north the south mixed them in with the white troops even Frederick Douglas reported, "There are at the present moment many Colored men in the Confederate Army doing duty not only as cooks, servants and laborers, but real soldiers, having musket on their shoulders, and bullets in their pockets, ready to shoot down any loyal troops and do all that soldiers may do to destroy the Federal government and build up that of the rebels." another thing that people should ask them selfs that should the native Americans or even Irish heritage see the American flag as a racist symbol in there own right look how the north treated them. look at the draft during the civil war and before look slavery was wrong and so are the KKK and the all the other hate groups that use that flag but don't say in general that flag represents hate in all southern people we fly that flag because we want to honor the brave men that fought for that flag a nation that thought they were right by leaving a corrupt government that was imposing more taxes on the south than the north

YES & NO

YES because in modern times the Confederate flag & Swastika were both taken up by groups who popularized them as symbols for their cause [anti-semitism, homophobia & racism]

NO because if you look at the history of the Swastika prior to WWII--it was never meant to ba a symbol of hatred. There is an African version of it that actually represented, if i recall correctly, harmony. There was , i believe , a bhuddist version of it too that followed the same general association.

The Confederate flag was , i think, just a variation of British heritage, sort of like the Union Jack. Once again a group, the Confederacy, popularized it during the civil war for a cause that it is now associated with, not so much southern culture

I really don't know. But they both provoke strong reactions, so i think it's best to avoid depicting them whenever possible

1. No. It is just be used to represent southern culture. The KKK ****** up the representation of the flag when they decided to use it.

2. The swastika is over 3000 years old. Hitler was not the only one to use it. The swastika was not seen as a symbol of hate until Hitler used it.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swasti...

not the swastika but yeah the Confederate flag does to me..thats probably wrong but thats my opinion

yes. the confederate flag stands for the people who fought savagely to keep people enslaved.

The swastika speaks for itself.

• Dean

confederate flag is not racism.. its part of our past and we should cherish it.. if we didnt go through that time things wouldnt be like they r now................. i have a confederate flag on my truck

Source(s): proud cracka

no, because that was not the original intent of either of those symbols, only later did racist back water rednecks pick them up as their symbol

no, i think it symbolizes the south and NASCAR...

nah, the swastika has different meanings, in Japan, it symbolizes a temple...

yes