Word Spacing Issues!?

I use Windows XP and Word 2007. In Word I’m having a spacing issue with paragraphs. It requires that I hit the “enter” key twice, creating an extra large space between paragraphs, to create a single space when copied into another program. So, if I were to only hit “enter” once in Word and then try to copy it into another program, Notepad, email, or a blog entry, then I suddenly have no spaces at all and my text lumps together. If I hit “enter” twice in Word and then copy it into another program, I end up with a single space between my paragraphs. Is there a setting I need to change in order to only hit “enter” once in Word and have the single space actually appear in another program or do I have to keep hitting “enter” twice and deal with the weird look and annoyance?

Favorite Answer

That's because you have some After spacing attached to your paragraph, which looks fine on Word, but actually doesn't leave any space in another text program. The second Enter actually puts in an empty paragraph. Do this to reduce the size of the space, but you'll still have to enter that extra Enter key for the blank space in other programs:

1. Click in an affected paragraph.

2. Click the Home tab on the Ribbon.

3. Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Styles section. You may have to scroll down to find it.

4. The style for your paragraph should have a bold box around it.

5. Hover the cursor over the style. A listbox arrow should appear. Click it.

6. Select Modify from the list box.

7. Click the Format button and select Paragraph.

8. Make sure the value in the After combination box is zero (0).

9. Click OK.

10. If you want this to carry forward to other documents based on the template this one is based on, click the radio button for New Documents Based On This Template.

11. OK out of everything.

All paragraphs in the document with that style should adjust themselves.

When you close your document, you may see a warning message asking if you want to save the changes to Normal.dotx. This is an anti-virus measure, intended to alert you that something has changed in Normal.dotx. In this case, you made the change, so you want to accept it.

Hope that helps.