Is it possible to get fired if your present job finds out you're seeking someplace else?

I'm just curious because I'm sick of my present FT job and is seeking for something better. I'm getting ready to get my own place and need better pay. I was just curious about this because some jobs have funny and stupid policies.

• Favorite Answer

I guess it depends on your manager and his/her attitude. Im in the same boat as you, I am working FT & I hate it. I also need to go PT in a couple of months so I can take classes, and my owner told me the pay decreases to PT employees which totally SUCKS. I have been seeking new employment on the computer of my current FT job, my manager and owner suspects and theyve mentioned it to me, but I didnt get fired. All they said is if I am looking to make a change then at least give them notice. I am also looking for new employment because my manager is an a**hole & i cant stand him any longer :)

I would hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised. I probably wouldn't let them know you are seeking until you are at least 90% sure you're going to get the job just to play it safe.

Anything is possible, it depends on the company.

If you're a valuable employee, it is unlikely that they would fire you right away. They would probably hire someone else, and then get rid of you once the other person is trained.