bjboytj asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

What are the risks from topical steroid cream for Phimosis?

I was wonder what, if any, the risks are from using a topical cream to take care of phimosis. Or if it works at all. And if it does I was wondering if anyone knew if it was less painful than pulling the foreskin down, which I find is really hard to keep doing.

Favorite Answer

Has the cream been prescribed for this specific reason? If so then I would assume the doctor who prescribed it would know that it was safe. Topical steriods are safe if used at the correct dosage but I can't see how a steriod cream will help with this problem?

If you are having problems then maybe you need to think about circumcision?

Stretching doesn't work over night. And it probably won't in two weeks either. It takes time. It could be a week or so before you see a noticable difference however if you keep up with the excercises and use the cream as told it will work. Obviously it did for you in the past as you can retract your skin when flaccid now. My friend had the same issue and it took hima couple months to get it 100% stretched out and back to normal. He used the cream and did the following stretches: Get a full erection, pull the skin as far back as you can WITHOUT pain and hold it there for 5-10 minutes (the longer the better so have at it for time) and do that at LEAST 3 times a day or more. Yes the cream can help but it doesn't work on it's own, you have to do the stretching with it. But it does speed up the stretching process. I think you are doing well using both techniques I think that's wise and will help your progress. I'm sure that the stretching will work for you if you stick with it. Like I said it obviously worked for you before so don't get so down on it. However hopefully this will give you some peice of mind. Since there is only a single tight ring preventing you from retracting the skin. If the stretching by some incredibly rare chance doesn't helo you can get a partial circumcision or sorts where they only remove the ring of skin. The rest of the foreskin you can keep as obviously its not an issue. So if you are uncomfortable with a full circumcision, as I wouldn't want it either, then realise you don't have to. I would keep with the stretching though. I've seen it work on people. Just stay consistant. You control mostly whether it works or not. -Connor

A European study found stretching and steroid creams cured 90% of phimosis cases, so you have a very good chance of it working for you.

The creams are safe so long as you use the right amount. Follow the instructions.

This website has some more general advice:

http://www.norm-uk.org/circumcision_alternative_tr...

There are no risks if you follow the procedure and dosage given by your doctor.

It works very well. You should begin to se results after about ten days.

Remember though, you have to continue the (soft) pulling after you rub the cream.

Think of it as medically prescribed masturbation. I found this was making the whole process more fun :-)

Good for you for not getting circumcised! Keep at the doctor's prescribed regime.

Pulling the foreskin down should not hurt, you should just 'tug' it, do it until just before it starts to hurt...