dewdrop asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Could I have some opinions please on this excerpt of an article in the Miami Herald?

concerning Fox News

June 3: In a column Bill O'Reilly says he never called murdered abortion doctor George Tiller "a baby killer."

This is wrong. PolitiFact.com has documented 24 instances just since 2005 of O'Reilly referring to the doctor as "Tiller the baby killer."

June 10: Glenn Beck asks, "Why do we have automatic citizenship upon birth? We're the only country in the world that has it."

This is incorrect. Canada has it, as do 32 other nations.

June 18: Sean Hannity says that under the Cash for Clunkers program, "all we've got to do is "... go to a local junkyard, all you've got to do

is tow it to your house. And you're going to get $4,500."

This is false. The program requires the car to be drivable and to have been registered for at least a year.

July 22: Beck says the director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."

This is untrue. The claim is based on a textbook John Holdren co-authored in 1977 that analyzed and "rejected" such coercive means of birth control.

July 31: Kimberly Guilfoyle claims the government will get total access in perpetuity to the computer of any participant in the Cash for Clunkers program who signs up at the government Web site, cars.gov.

This is inaccurate. FactCheck.org. reports this claim is based on a security notice required of "car dealers" who access a secure area of the Web site.

Every news organization from CNN to CBS to the Miami Herald to the L.A. Times gets it wrong on occasion, and every single report risks reflecting the biases — political, racial, religious, class, educational, geographical, generational — of the reporter.

But Fox is in a class by itself. In its epidemic inaccuracy, its ongoing disregard for basic journalistic standards of fairness, its demagogic appeals and its blatantly ideological promotions it is, indeed, unique — a news source in name only.

Do you feel these statements are fair?

Favorite Answer

I'm surprised they haven't been sued for false advertising - it would be more accurate if they'd called themselves "Weasel News". (And don't even get me started on "fair and balanced"...)

On the whole, I don't think that America's anger over current political trends is necessarily quite as quiet as the article suggests. However, the article is surely correct that a large percentage of Americans, while not necessarily going public about it, are angered by the current trends. I am not as vocal as some are about it, but I must add that in so saying that I speak solely for myself, not other self-identified conservatives. However, I have been greatly annoyed by the fact that the government seems to have sent the level of government spending to utterly stratospheric levels, without regard to what price will be paid by successive generations of Americans. It's not enough, it seems, to have existing entitlements well on the road to bankruptcy. As recently as last month, yet another entitlement program has been added in the form of an interminably lengthy health care bill that would in practice entail a major leap in the direction of total government control of the American medical sector - a move that this country will, I am convinced, long lament, if the constitutional challenges to the bill do not hold up. Exactly how this will play out in the elections this year remains to be seen (I think that it would be unwise on my part to speculate on 2012 and later years). While I do believe that the Democrats will pay heavily for the current administration's radical policies, I would strongly advise the Republican party not to get too cocky about its prospects, as more than a few conservatives have talked about the prospect of a third party - an idea which in practice would have the effect of dividing the opposition, making it far less effective than it otherwise would be.

I've watched them and it's rare to go 20 minutes without something twisted or outright false coming out. But, while the network calls itself FOX News, these shows are clearly right wing opinion and commentary, not journalism. Some of the news programming on the station is not as slanted and blatantly inaccurate as Beck and Hannity especially, and sometimes O'Reilly. I don't know about Guilfoyle.

Yes. And, this also isn't "news". Any educated person with a brain knows that Fox "news" doesn't check sources for accuracy and pretty much let's their commentators say whatever they want...

And who is fact checking the liberal biased Miami Herald?

I feel there is no reason to believe them.

They are someones statements no proof or facts.

Why should I trust you or some cheap reporter?

Source(s): O'Reily is a liberal and I cannot stand him. I think your just trying to pick on FOX. I think your are very unfair and any one who believes this is just like you. Tiller was a murderer. I loved it that he was killed in a Church. Why was he at Church. God despises baby killers?

NO!