What would the constants, independent/dependent variables be in my science experiment?

Im doing a science experiment on what type of water is best for goldfish, and i have 4 differnt types of waters ( salt, sugar, sparkeling, and tap water) and i need help understanding what the constans, independent, and dependent variables are.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Amount of salt, sugar, etc in water will be independent variables. What you will measure in your experiment (weight gained/lost, # of dead goldfish, etc) will be dependent variables. Each group of goldfish should be in the same water temperature and receive same amount of food, etc. Water temperature, amount of food/light, and pure water are considered constant variables.

Source(s): Biology Textbooks!!
  • Gayle
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

1. Constant: -The things you aren't gonna change 2. Independent - The thing you are going to change 3. Dependent -The things that will change since you changed your independent factor I think it will be clearer if you see these for each experiment independently, so you do these 3 for the first experiment where you change the gender. Then another for the one you flip the words upside down. &then again another for the one you use pictures instead of words. Hope this helps!!

• 1 decade ago

the independent variable would be the water, and the dependant variable would be the fishes life, because the fish is dependent upon the type of water in the tank.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.