Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

How many goldfish can fit into a 30 gallon fish tank?

I might be getting a 30 gallon fish tank and i want to know how many goldfish can fit in it. Also, how can you mesure a fish to see how big it is and what types of goldfish should i get?

• catx
    Favorite Answer

Two Fancy Goldfish (like Oranda/Ryukin type) max as long as the tank is over filtered and well cycled.

Common/Comet/Shubunkin types get way too big for a 30 gallon tank.

When you measure a fish you measure it from it's nose to its caudal peduncle (that's the part of the fish where the body ends and the tail starts), you don't include the fins when you measure a fish. Fancy Goldfish, depending on variety, get anything from 4"-8" in body length. Of course they don't always read the same rule book:

http://www.acda.cl/noticias/fotos%20noticias/caras...

I would recommend you cycle the tank first, make sure its good a good large filter on it, Goldfish are very very messy fish, and then look into two fancy Goldfish. I would recommend you stick with one variety or one with similar deformities, the ones with googly eyes like Bubble Eyes or very very stunted bodies like Pearlscales are the most fragile and best left to experts.

None, only goldfish can go with goldfish. Goldfish are cold water fish and produce a lot of ammonia. Most other fish such as guppies, mollies, etc are warm water fish and cannot go with goldfish.1 goldfish in a 30 gallon depending on the type of goldfish you have. If you have a fancy goldfish you can have 1 in a 30. If you have a feeder goldfish you can have 0. Feeder goldfish have to have 55 gallon tanks.

I own 2 comets 5 inch and 1 common 9 inch goldfish. I house all three in a 25 Gallon tank. This will work for about another 6 months and I'll need to rehome them to a bigger 55 gallon. Here are pictures of my guys now in the 25 gallon tank.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/Yahooanswe...

Goldfish are dirty so prepare yourself for all the up keep on them. I do a 25% water change weekly and rinse their filter out every other day, replace every two weeks. They eat a lot and definitely beg for food, they will hit the cover to alert me when they want more. I swear these guys are worse then my cat LOL.

To answer your question it depends how big the goldfish are, feeder size a good 10 but that wont last long. Bigger I wouldn't do more then 2 or 3 b/c my guys are just comfy in their 25 for now. Like I said it wont last long. If you get those fancy bubble head goofy goldfish then I'd suggest no more then 2 in a 30 gallon. This would be supposing they aren't bigger then 6 inches a piece.

Most of the people comment on this topic I'd imagine don't own goldfish or haven't owned them long. I've owned mine 3 yrs and raised them for 2 years in a 15 gallon tank. I wouldn't call less then 3 inches a year fast growers. My fish are happy and healthy and never any issues w/ swim bladder which is something most people complain about w/ goldfish. I also feed them sinking food to avoid swim bladder issues.

Good luck hope this helped.

Source(s): My own tank and very large healthy goldfish.
  • <(__)>

I agree with catx those are the most comfortable conditions and what you should give your fish. But you can pull off two comet goldfish in a 30 gal, make sure to do very regular large weekly water changes, have a great filteration system and not to overfeed your fish. You measure a fish by measuring it... you can usually eyeball it, for reference the middle joint on your index finger is about an inch. Fancy goldfish are much smaller than common goldfish, if you want to have the most comfortable tank settings get fancy goldfish.

goldfish grow to fast to really detail how many can fit into a tank unless the tank is about a 55 gal... you can probably fit 6 in a tank that size for a while but soon they will get to big for that (5-6 months) hope i helped also about the measuring the fish you should be able to just tell by looking at the fish to measure them but i guess you cant so just wait till the fish come to the front of the tank sideways which shouldnt be that long for goldfish since they move so much and measure them with a ruler

Source(s): experience

None. Common goldfish need a pond at least when they are fully grown (30cm) and they live for 40 years. You might be able to keep a couple of small ones if you are prepared to either give them to someone who has a pond or get on yourself.

I've heard gold fish can get pretty big (not sure how big). As for how many you can fit, I would just start with 2, then see how big they get before adding more (that may be the maximum).

Goldfish are capable to grow large in weeks. I say 3-5 goldfish is crowded enough in a 30g