I really wanna do the K-12 Online Homeschooling but?

Ok im 13, 8th grade, ohio

School just really isnt wrking out for me i get to distracted by other students and it is hard for me to learn with the teachers teaching methods, so i resorted to online homeschooling and found K-12. But my dad doesnt really approve of me not going to school and doing it online, So he told be to go to my school guidance counselor and ask if i could do it, I dont know what to say to her to actually get her to convince my dad i should do it. Please help me what should I say to my guidance counselor and my dad?

Favorite Answer

Actually, K12 has three sets of customers. In addition to public schools and private individuals, it is also marketed to private schools that can set their own calendar, schedules, assignments, teachers, etc.

I agree that it sounds like your dad is passing the buck to your guidance counselor, but those are the cards you were dealt, so respect him and see your guidance counselor.

Since you live in Ohio, your best bet of successfully persuading a guidance counselor is probably to say that you want to attend Ohio Virtual Academy. http://www.k12.com/ohva/ It is a public school that you can do at home, so your counselor cannot say the "public" is better. They are both public. Read up on the website so you will know as much as possible. Pay special attention to the FAQ section because it answers the questions your dad is most likely to have.

Here are the points to make:

• It is more individualized than a classroom.

• OHVA was awarded the Parent's Choice Award by GreatSchools.net and Business Week magazine. This means that it got a higher ratings score than your local school.

• OHVA offers opportunities for accelerated learners

• It will save money because you will not need as many expensive outfits or transportation.

• You could try it for a year, and because it is a public school you can always transfer back with no loss of credits.

I'd be amazed if your school guidance counsellor is in favour of you being homeschooled. She works for the school for goodness sake! You might as well go down to the local butcher and ask him to convince your dad you should become a vegetarian.

I'm afraid your dad is just trying to push the job of saying NO off onto someone else. He's hoping she'll give you this big lecture about how school is best and you'll buy it and he won't have to deal with the 'problem'. I think you need to go back to him and focus on how you are not doing as well as you should be academically and want to get a really good education.

Your dad is probably freaked out by homeschooling and is envisioning you playing video games on the computer all day and calling it "school." Most people are afflicted by this stereotyping...we do it all the time whenever anything is done outside the norm. I had my kids at home instead of the hospital, and everyone freaked out. It's just not "how it's done." They had visions of me as some kind of dope-smoking, irresponsible, clueless Earth-girl hippie-chick, when the fact of the matter is that I was a conservative 30-something with a law degree living in typical suburbia surroundings.

Homeschooling suffers the same fate. To be engaged in homeschooling must mean that you're radically anti-government / deeply oddly religious / in a cult / borderline psychotic / pathetically inept and unlikable. Oh, and the parents are automatically bumbling morons, too; drooling cretins who never got past 6th grade and insist on academically crippling their pitiful spawn. Hope I covered all the stereotypes there...

So you have to show your dad that homeschooling can be just as evolved and beneficial as private school.

I use K12.com, too, so I'm pretty familiar with it, but my students are WAY younger (K and 2nd). K12, Inc. has two sets of customers: public school districts, and independent consumers (individuals).

School Districts: Many school districts and/or states sign up with K12.com under a contract. They use K12's curriculum and resources, but they keep the students as public school students in the district. By doing this, they get to keep the federal money that comes with each student. They also get to require standardized testing, any attendance rules they want followed, and they get to pace you at the speed they want you to cover the material. Because the materials are paid for by the school district, the money comes from your property taxes, and it appears to be "free" to the student.

Independent Consumers: If your school district doesn't offer it, or if you don't want to be tied down by the school's rules, you can integrate part of all of K12's material into your education plan. It is NOT paid for by the school district, it's paid for by YOU. As such, you're losing some money, but you gain a whole new level of freedom. You can work as fast or as slow as you want, you can skip around if you want to, there's no "reporting back" to a teacher and no mandatory testing. You also don't have attendance rules from the district that you have to follow, so if you feel like doing a class at 5 a.m. or 9 p.m., that's your choice.

I assume you're looking at the Ohio Virtual Academy? Take a look at this as a beginning:

http://www.k12.com/ohva/who_we_are/myths_about_onl...

Mostly what you have to do is to educate your dad, and come to your guidance counselor with confidence. Have your counselor be brutally honest with you, and ask her tough and pointed questions. Show that you're thinking carefully about this:

What can you tell me about the Ohio Virtual Academy run by K12?

Do you personally know of any students enrolled in it?

Is there any way I could speak to any of them?

Do you recommend this program?

Does it have any downside? What is it?

Has anyone attempted to mitigate those downsides?

Has anyone who attended the virtual academies had trouble getting into college because of it? (Ask for details here, because an answer of "yes" or "they won't take you seriously" isn't enough. Which admissions officer of which university told her that? Without specific incidents, it's all just opinion rather that researched fact.)

You might also place a call or two to a few of the local universities to ask about their policy on admissions for homeschooled students. Find out yourself what they have to say, and find out what their requirements are.

Remember that the school you go to is filled with people whose JOBS depend on you going to school every day. This isn't exactly unbiased information you'll be getting.