Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Why do people say Lars Ulrich from Metallica sucks?

How can you suck at drumming? Dont give me a lame answer like Metallica sucks because that doesn't explain anything.If he finds a beat to play to how can he suck? I don't get it.

Not his personality we all know it sucks but his drumming I don't understand how someone can suck

Favorite Answer

I think he is a good drummer, but what has already been stated he has a huge ego that does not over well with others. Another reason is 8 or 9 years ago he was one of the first to go in front of the U.S. Congress and lead a campaign to ban the use of P2P software or music file sharing.

When people say he is not very good I think they mean that as a person not a drummer.

I play drums and Lars is my favorite drummer after John Bonham.

It would be hard to explain if you don't play drums. But it's more than just playing a beat. Great drummers have very peculiar styles. Some people will judge only on the technique and physical performance. But to me the most important factor is creativity. And sure enough Lars excels in doing what you wouldn't expect, so to speak, which takes creativity. Maybe it's because he wasn't really a drummer and just sort of learned by doing it that he developed such an unorthodox way of playing but I find it actually fascinating.

Lars is a human and has human traits like all of us. He isn't Neal Peart behind the drum kit, but he gets it done. As a fan of Metallica I appreciate his creativity as much as his drumming. Without Lars putting together Metallica, thrash would be missing a huge chunk of music. All we as fans have to worry about is the music they put out and if they go on tour or not. I'll take Lars over Mr. Rose any day.

Lars is a fantastic Drummer, also he possibly knows more about N.W.O.B.H.M. than any man alive...

However He is also possibly the biggest egotistical p*ick on the planet with the possible exception of Axl Rose, so that doesn't exactly endear Him to a lot of people.

*Edit*

Ok so yeah, His drumming on St Anger bit the big one. However he was fantastic in the 80's.

You sound as though you think drumming is simple, a lot of talent and skill is involved in being a good drummer; rhythm, speed, complexity, technique.. I'd go further into this, but I'm a guitarist. lol

He sucks as a metal drummer, his style just doesn't fit, as a drummer in general, he is pretty good, he also sucks because he's a greedy little tool that would sue someone at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: people only say he sucks because they compare him to the other drummers of "The Big Four" of thrash metal, *cough* Dave Lombardo

I think its just because he doesn't seem to have lots of imagination - a lot of the beats sound the same. He is a bit of an *** aswell. People like Axl Rose can get away with being cocky (BTW hes like my idol, I ain't slagging him off) because they're so creative. Lars can't.

haha, it's very easy to suck at drumming. But, I think most people say that because he's a bit of an ***.

Listen to St.Anger. Also, a lot of people probably just hate him because of the napster indecent.

Cause he's a douchebag... I believe (not sure) it was his decision to quit making thrash metal and experiment, how do you like such experiments like St Anger? Some insane trashcan drumming in there!