Why don't we see more British immigrating to the States?

It's very hard to find some British immigrants in the States. They don't tend to group up in one particular city or two. They tend to scatter evenly across the whole country. I had seen British living in Flagstaff Arizona and little hick towns like Colusa California. Then there are some hot spots like Santa Monica CA where I see some English community.

But why don't wee see them in larger numbers? Maybe they are already content with where they live in the UK? Or does the States or the UK make it hard for them to immigrate?

• MadMan
    Favorite Answer

LOL! You have got it completely wrong. There are millions of British migrants in the US. The difference is that we do not need to clump together with others from the homeland.

I have both US and UK citizenship as I have a parent from both.

The US makes it near impossible for someone for the UK to move to the US. This makes no sense to me as British people who do get to the US speak the same language, share a common culture and fit right in. No integration needed.

The UK is basically the same is basically the same the other way around. Though there are more avenues to do it.

What it comes down to is the US allows so many illegals and does not enforce laws to get rid of illegals. Fly from England and don't have papers and you are screwed. Jump the border from Mexico you are OK.

But on the other side the UK passes out citizenship out like candy in school yard.

• Belle

Personally I think it is 3 fold.

1) The UK over all has a better system than the US, as far as taking care of it's citizens. Why would anyone want to move to a country that offers you less than what you already have in your home country?

2) A citizen of the UK can move, live and work anywhere in Europe, without all the hassle of visa's.

3) The Brits that we know that live in the states mostly came here to be with their spouses, like my husband did. Not saying they don't come for other reasons, but our experience is that it is mostly due to family.

It is not any easier or harder for a Brit to immigrate to the US than any other immigrant from a different country. Everyone still has to submit the same forms, take the same physical etc. I think mostly Brits have enough common sense not to come to the US unless it is for a darn good reason.

Belle

Before 1965, U.S. immigration law was Euro-centric, favoring the admission of Europeans based upon qualifications such as education, etc. In 1965, Senator Teddy Kennedy took the lead in pushing through new immigration laws which favor admission of Central and South Americans, so the proportion of qualified European immigrants, including Brits, declined.

There are probably millions here ... They do not have a need to

live in pockets with other Brits ..they assimulate very well

They have never been in the Diversity lottery as more than 50k arrive every five years by other means

There is a huge community in the Tampa area. Many of them own homes and travel back and forth during the seasons.

usually it's a lack of economic opportunity that makes people leave their home and move to another country. lately the economy in the UK has been relatively strong so there's little impetus to relocate.

They speak English so they have to wait at the end of the line if they are crazy enough to want to come here.

the majority of people who emigrate away from the UK move to florida, don't believe me? look it up -_-

because there all in Australia and Canada