My son went into army basic training at Fort Knox. Now he's in the infirmary. How do I contact him?

When he was with a platoon I had an address for him. Now I have nothing. How do I write my son? He has insomnia. I also suffer from this condition. What they don't know is the meds for it make people like me worse. It makes the insomnia permanent. Please help, I need to write my son and tell him not to take the medications. How can I write my son?

Favorite Answer

http://www.knox.army.mil/geninfo.asp

Telephone Information & Frequently Called Numbers

For Commercial Access (502) 624/626-XXXX or (502)942-XXXX

Fort Knox Operator (502) 624-1000

Installation Operations Center (IOC) (502) 624-2707

Red Cross (502) 624-2163

IACH Hospital Emergency Room (502) 624-9000

Source(s): Ex-US Army Cav Scout NCO & Instructor at US Armor School

Almost every basic training unit is an infnatry unit. It does not mean he was transferred into the Infnatry. In AIT, he will be in another unit. They probably would not give him medication for insomnia, or any other permanent condition requiring permanent treatemnt, unless they determined that he absolutely needed it, and then only if they were going to put him out. He should have contacted you and given you a mailing address, and called you once he got to his basic training company. If he didn't, it is probably because he dialed the wrong number, or you weren't home, or he was stupid and called his girlfriend or something. When I went in, they required us to write a letter the first day to our parents too. They made you give them a letter to mail. You did not have a choice. You should be getting a letter in a few days with his mailign address. He will also eventually (after the first few days) be allowed an hour to get his personal things cleaned and organized, read, and/or write letters. I never wrote, but hopefully he will drop you a letter in a week or so. If not, you can call Fort Knox, and eventually get the number for his basic training company or Battallion, and they will give you his address and tell him to write you a letter, and will, if you actually get ahold of his company, let you know that he is allright. If you do that, though, he will get in a bit of trouble for not writing you or calling you.

I was in the Marines for 6 years and I met a few soldiers in my day. From what I saw they will train you hard. The better shape you are in the easier it will be for you. However, that's not all, the mental aspect is something you'll have to deal with too. You will screw up and you will be punished for it. Just accept it and don't take it to heart. No. 1 rule: Don't volunteer for anything! Even if it sounds like fun. believe me, it won't be. Semper Fi.

If you no longer know what command he's in you could do a few things. Easiest would be to send a letter to the old address you had for him, but you probably want him to get the letter sometime this year. You could try to contact his old command directly and try to find out what his new command is, but they may not tell you for security/privacy reasons. You could also try to contact an Army ombudsman, let them know what your issue is and let them guide you.

The doctors in the military have access to all the info you do about insomnia and related medication. If a new drug is starting to have complications they'll find out and stop prescribing it.

EDIT: I read infirmary as infantry...sorry

• Hayley

If this is on his medical records, the doctors and nurses would automatically know not to give it to him. But if you really insist on contacting him, the fastest way would be to contact the American Red Cross (usually reserved for emergency contact to inform of death in family or other serious matter).

@ Tyler W

She said INFIRMARY not INFANTRY...as in "he's currently recovering in the infirmary after his injury" not "he's joined the Mobile Infantry and is now gonna go fight the Arachnids"....

Source(s): AF & Army vet

Write to him at the address you have. The platoon will know where he is and they may forteward it to him.

OR, write to him % Ireland Army Hospital Ft Knox, KY 40121

The simplest way I know is to contact your local Red Cross... Have his Full name and Rank available, what unit he is in and Ft. Knox

Other than that, mail will still be delivered to him, so you can write to his address

Source(s): U.S. Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1 A1 Abrams 1990-1996
  • eyespy

Do just what "Heart of Darkness" said, start with the Red Cross. Good Luck.

You could try and call the Army one source or send a red cross message, tell them what is going on and everything, and when they ask where he is, tell them you havnt recived any inof on it, but you know he isnt there, and you can give then his SSN: and they maybe able to pull his info up and tell you bc we get orders and they know where we go and know everything about us with our SSN