Very low mileage on a used 2003 Suzuki motorcycle. Good or bad?

the bike has less than 3,000 miles in 6 years of its existence. Good or bad folks? On the other hand, another same bike (2003 model) has over 25,000 miles. Similar in pricing. Which would be a better buy?

Favorite Answer

Lots of good points here.

The thing that bothers me about the 3000 mile bike is that is almost brand new and lacks a warranty. Most problems occur in a products early life (Not just bikes, everything), and this bike is still in it's very early life.

I would lean strongly toward the 25,000 mi bike, assuming the service record was available.

Personally I have a well maintained daily rider - 2003 with 75,000 mi, and she's real good to me.

Motorcycles that are many years old but have very few miles, usually they've been sitting in someone's garage for years at a time. That's not good for a bike. But 3000 miles in 6 years, that's not extremely low mileage. The bike is still new enough that you can get parts for it. It's hardly broken in! I would think that was a good deal.

25k miles is not too much, but 3000 miles is better. If it was a 15 year old bike with 3000 miles on it, I'd be more skeptical.

• M S

You'd really have to check how the bike was used. Specifically...look at the brake pads and disc (any type of scraping marks are bad), check how much choke is needed to start the engine and if it can rev up to and down from the red-line smoothly (token signs of if the carbs are cleans), if it shifts smoothly, and if the idle is steady (which lets you know if the valves are well adjusted).

If it passes on all of the above, it should be in very good shape and may indeed have 3,000 miles. If not it either really doesn't have only 3000 well-cared-for miles and/or has been stored in a shed/un-unsed for many years and the gasoline has likely gone stale, thus clogging the carbs, valves, and worse.

If both bikes pass said-above tests with flying colors, go for the 3,000 mile bike....otherwise stick with the 25000+ mile one.

• poutre

Suzuki motor cycles are good motorcycles. As are something. each motorbike has its strengths and weaknesses. The extra moderen motorcycles are so stepped forward do not even project. Shoot even in the overdue 70's there replaced right into a lot learn and sorting out achieved they have been good then. My first motorbike replaced right into a Suzuki TS-185 I beat the motorbike for YEARS. And to right this moment time i'm in awe approximately how long the motorbike lasted. you do not could desire to rigidity one bit approximately Suzuki or any of the different motorcycles by way of fact all of them rock. yet once you will get a motorbike get a Yamaha. Be secure the place a helmet.

In general, motorcycle engines dont last as long as car engine because they for the most part, are smaller, and rev higher while driving.

25k is usually ALOT for a bike, particularly if its a high reving sport bike, there are a few exceptions for bikes with larger motors, but usually bikes crap out at around 40-60k some earlier.

In the case of the old bike with only 3k, You should verify that it is in fact 3k by inspecting parts that woudl show wear for usage beyond that. It is very easy to modify a bike to not register mileage. A good thing to look at is the brakes. With low milage like that, the pads shoudl be almost brand new in thickness, and the rotor should be perfectly smooth since it has very little use.

Another thoguht is that the tires on that bike are too old to be used, but simultaneously not exposed to enough mileage to justify replacement form lack of tread. They will need to be replaced.

Look the bike over, You should be able to tell if it really only has 3000 miles on it. Take the bike out for a ride or have a mechanic look at it. That will tell you whether it is a good deal or not. Ask why it only has 3000 miles on it. Now the other bike, Is it a daily driver? If it is, it should look as if it is in good shape . A daily driver needs to be kept in good shape in order to be dependable. Now make your decision. Don't get in a rush.

Get the low mileage, it was bought by someone who thought they wanted to ride a bike and bought it then decided they were wrong.

There are 50 questions here that start"I want to ride a..."

In the papers I see 10 year old bikes with less than1,000 miles /year.

• Ming

if it barely rode it and let it sit, it might be worse than someone that rode it daily and performed proper and regular maintenance.

you can have exactly the opposite too. high mileage bikes generally are used as commuters--less likely to be a weekend ride.

get to know the seller, whether he is young, old, idiot, or treats his bike meticulously. ask him to ride it around when you see it. if he guns it and does all kinds of reckless stuff during the demo to you, then you probably don't want to get that bike because he's probably thrashed it around just like how he's showing you.

I am a big fan of Suzuki, and in my opinion the best years for Suzuki Motorcycles are between the years 2000-2005, after 2005 they cheapened them up

way many bikes are people buy them and ride them every once in a while

buying the lower mileage or one thats in the best shape don tl ook at mileage so much check shape

how to check a used motorcycle