Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

AXG
Lv 5
AXG asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicR&B & Soul · 1 decade ago

alicia keys vs mary j blige???

i know mary j is considered queen of r&b but would it be fair to say alicia keys is right on her tail? i ask this not taking anything away from mary but alicia keys writes and composes her own music and i think is more talented. your thoughts.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Based on musicality, voice, and natural talent alone AK got her. But the thing about Mary is her conviction while singing and the fact that is an inspiration to many women. Her life is inspiring not her music, while AK is the other way around. So having inspiring music is mainly important to aspiring artists. Mary's music gets people through personal situations and her life reminds people that they can go through the same things she did and still come out on top. That's how I see it at least. Hope it helps somehow.

Source(s): IMO
  • 5 years ago

I could desire to declare i could not %. between the two artists. Mary J. Blige has extra significant song with songs like not Gon' Cry, good woman Down, and much less Drama, yet Alicia Keys extra songs that are in general romantic like Teenage Love Affair, and Diary, apart from Superwoman and Karma.

• 1 decade ago

I think the "title" is queen of hip-hop soul. While Alicia does write AND compose a great deal of her music, Mary also writes many of her own songs. Mary is not necessarily the strongest vocalist, there's the way she flows and rides the beat almost like a rapper. Mary is raw, real and comes from the heart and gut.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is quite a tough question to answer since they are very much different in genre, style and talent.I like them both on different levels. But since what you said is very true about Alicia who writes and sings her own songs, can play the piano very well, too I think, I'd go for Alicia Keys.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

nah alicia hasn't put in the work that mary has she still has more growing to do but I love them both as artist

• 1 decade ago

they have two different singing styles, therefore can't be fairly compared .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.