at first new jersey was a dutch colony
Much of New Jersey was claimed by the Dutch. The Dutch colony of New Netherland, started in 1614, consisted of parts of modern Tri-State Area. Initially, small out-posts where built for the fur trade. In 1621, the Dutch West India Company was formed, choosing the tip of Manhattan as their North American head-quarters. In May 1624, from a ship under the command of Cornelius Jacobsen Mey (after whom Cape May is named) thirty families disembarked on Noten Island. These settlers were required to spread themselves throughout the region to Fort Amsterdam, Fort Orange, Fort Goede Hoop, and Fort Nassau. The last was on the east bank of the Zuid Rivier, the site of the first European settlement in New Jersey.
For more details on this topic, see Bergen, New Netherland.
Although the European principle of land ownership was not recognized by the Lenape, Dutch policy required formal purchase of all land settled upon, and the first such purchase was of Manhattan, by Peter Minuit, in 1626. The oldest recorded purchase in New Jersey was that of a tract along the banks of the Upper New York Bay across the North River from Fort Amsterdam in 1630. It was part of the patroonship Pavonia, named (in Latinized form) for Micheal Pauw  who had bought from the Lenape. At the time it was the territory of the Unami, or Turtle Clan. The settlement grew slowly, impeded by mismanagement of the Dutch West India Company and conflicts with the indigenous population know as Kieft's War (1643-1645)and The Peach Tree War (1655). In 1658, the last Director-General of New Netherland Peter Stuyvesant "re-purchased" the entire peninsula known as Bergen Neck, and in 1661 granted a charter to the village at Bergen, establishing the oldest municipality in the state. The British take-over in 1664 was formalized of 1674, ending the province of the New Netherland, though the northeastern counties would retain a "Dutch" character for many years to come.