What should I do about my very hot (as in high strung) horse?

I'm having a lot of problems with my horse. He's a 4 year old mustang (not from the wild, though his mother was wild before he was born) and he's absolutely gorgeous (a beautiful grullo). I love him so much but he's a real handful. I don't mean handful as in a little extra energy, I mean... show more I'm having a lot of problems with my horse. He's a 4 year old mustang (not from the wild, though his mother was wild before he was born) and he's absolutely gorgeous (a beautiful grullo). I love him so much but he's a real handful. I don't mean handful as in a little extra energy, I mean handful as in bucking, some bolting, and some rearing.

He's currently in training and he's been doing pretty well, but we can't even move on until he stops bucking in the round pen. And now I can't even get him into the round pen very easily anymore because he won't halter! Before he started training, I could halter him no problem. He didn't care. Now that he knows the halter means work is coming, he won't let me halter him without a big fight (at least, that's what my trainer says is the problem). But I was dealing with all that and feeling pretty good until today.

Today he got his feet done and oh my god he was horrible! He's had them done before, but this was the first time with me. I was doing fine holding him while the guy was working on his front feet (the farrier was absolutely the most patient, wonderful farrier in the world) with only minor issues. But when my horse started going crazy with the back feet, I got scared. He's a pretty big boy (at least 15 hands) and I'm only 5'1, maybe 5'2 so whenever he would lurch forward I would just jump to the side instead of holding my ground. I couldn't do it and he (my horse) was scaring me. And then, when I started calming down a bit, he changed his behavior. Instead of trying to bolt, he would start rearing. The farrier was calm and cool throughout, but I got really scared and nervous. I had to have someone more experienced than me hold him for the remaining trim.

I know I probably sound like some stupid beginner, but I swear I am an experienced rider (not that my horse can be ridden yet). It's just, on the ground, I don't feel very brave. I'm so small and he's so big and I feel so intimidated.

I know his behavior was partly my fault because I was letting him get away with it, but I don't know what to do! I couldn't give him away. A, I love him and B. I don't think anyone else would take him and he's got so much potential. I keep worrying I've taken on more than I can handle and the farrier teasingly said he could answer that question: yes. I knew he was going to be difficult and I thought I could handle it. I'm fine in the big roundpen with him, but anywhere else but that I'm scared. I don't know what to do! I love him, but he really scares me sometimes. I know he would never purposely hurt me, but he's really hot sometimes. What should I do? Please, constructive answers only!
Update: I currently am in lessons with a wonderful, helpful trainer.
Update 2: My trainer is helping me (she's the only certified trainer in the area where I live and she's AMAZING), but she's been having me do just basic work with him in the round pen by myself. And we've been doing great. It's just when something sets him off that bad, I get scared. Before the weather... show more My trainer is helping me (she's the only certified trainer in the area where I live and she's AMAZING), but she's been having me do just basic work with him in the round pen by myself. And we've been doing great. It's just when something sets him off that bad, I get scared. Before the weather changed, he was doing so well. (it's extremely sudden where I live. Like one day it's hot and then suddenly it's fall). Now he's gotten so hot and kinda wild. He was doing so great before hand too!
Update 3: My family doesn't have the money for a trainer (they're at least 800 a month around where I live).