Worried about a bite- anyone have spider knowledge?

I got bit sometime last night. I have a large, lumpy red bite on my right shoulder, it's very sore and at first I thought it was a bra strap digging into me, but I reached back and felt the bite immediately.

I live in Nevada, and we have black widows and brown recluses out here, as well as small scorpions. I don't believe it was a scorpion, but it could have been a spider.

Does anyone have a picture of a brand new spider bite from a black widow or brown recluse? I Googled it but only came up with pictures of what it looks like untreated. If this is serious I want to be able to take care of it, but I don't have health insurance so I can't just run to the nearest emergency room to have it looked at.

Thanks. Any help appreciated. (And even any info on any other insects that could have bitten me)

@Future Rockstar

Really? Are you really THAT immature?

Jesus, I hope your parents actually crack down and teach you how to be an adult.

• Todd
    Favorite Answer

I doubt that it is a black widow bite. Black widows have a neurotoxic venom. This means that the area of the bite shouldn't become necrotic. With black widow venom, it will cause severe cramping of all of your large muscle groups- to the point that you WILL seek medical treatment. These symptoms usually manifest themselves within 30 minutes of the bite.

That leaves the brown recluse. They do have a myotoxic venom, meaning it is injurious to the tissue. You will notice it getting progressively worse over several days.

Have a friend look at it, and mark around the swollen area with a marker. Have the friend check it again tomorrow. If the swelling has not gone down, or the bite looks worse, you need to seek medical attention. Same goes if you have any abnormal symptoms- nausea, vomiting, cramping, shortness of breath.

First, there are no brown recluse spiders in Nevada.

The only likelihood of a bite from a widow, would be stumbling through a web, or poking a finger around in the web.

Spiders have no reason to bite a sleeping human, and

based on your description, sounds more like a skin condition.

Bites would be insignificant and a sting from a scorpion (also not

too likely) would be very painful.

I doubt this is serious, possibly just a boil. This may develop a pustule that will drain on its own in time. If the wound opens, you

should apply a topical antibiotic.

If this worsens significantly over the next 48 hours, you might have it examined by a doctor.

I'm in so.Nevada, and haven't seen any scorpions, camel spiders,

or tarantulas This year at all.(maybe the urban sprawl)

Source(s): UC Irvine, entomology

You should probably go see a doctor if the bite is swollen and you don't know what kind of spider bit you.

• ?

You're gonna turn into spider man soon

Daniel G's your man (excellent advice).

Source(s): http://spinnen-forum.de/smf/index.php (among others)