why do some people sway from anything that is supernatural?

why do some people sway from anything that is supernatural? they get into a dither and become defensive. why is that?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think for a lot of people it scares them. Things they can't explain or understand, they find frightening.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Many people (and, someday, hopefully all people) sway from the supernatural -- because there is nothing supernatural. More than 100 years ago, Ernest Haeckel wrote in his "The Riddle of the Universe" that "there is absolutely nothing supernatural in the universe that the human mind can comprehend."

"Super naturalism" is a method that the scientific-illiterate" use to explain natural phenomena. Once you become well-schooled in the sciences, you will no longer need any "super naturalism." But, make sure you don't learn your science from a teacher who accepts the "supernatural" -- for such a teacher is a scientist in name only.

Source(s): The Riddle of the Universe; Ernest Heackel; any respectable science book; the scientific method; The magazine "The Skeptical Inquirer"
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because BY DEFINITION there is no such thing as "supernatural", there is only reality, the natural universe, and a few things that we cannot (yet) explain (& which the very laziest of humans ascribe to something "outside" the natural universe)...

(I love that you used the word "dither", though! Such a lovely though under-utilized word!)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The term "supernatural" is meaningless. If a phenomenon can be observed and quantified in some way, then by definition it's part of the natural world. If not, then somebody's just pulling my leg. I don't have time for superstitious people.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"Get into a dither and defensive?" Many of us ignore or debunk the obviously subjective claims of the "supernatural" because they just subjective claims that can be shown to be natural occurrences.

If we appear to be in a "dither" it is because it is very distressing to realize that some people are that ignorant.

• 1 decade ago

The James Randi Educational Foundation has a $1 Million dollar prize to anyone that can prove the supernatural.... if it is so real, then you would think there would be people lined up around the block to claim that prize...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why do some people feel the need to include the supernatural in explaining the universe or world when it is never needed?

Saying "I don't know" is far more honest than saying "God did it,"

• Stalin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because of Hinduism, I beleive that this form of religion is counter productive for the Supernatural.

• jl
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

because belief in the the supernatural is a cop out to trying to really understand the world around us.

when you were a kid and some asked you how something worked/why you did something and you didn't know you would say,

"just because"

when your an adult and you don't know answers, you say it's in gods domain. Its the same answer, you don't want to admit having to examine the real answer to the question.

• Kirk
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Because nothing has ever proven to be supernatural anywhere at any time

They just don't want to appear silly i guess

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.