Why do PF fans compare typical bluesy "Comfortably Numb" to the best solo ever (& unique) "Stairway to Heaven"?

There is no solo that sounds like "Stairway to Heaven". "Comfortably Numb" is a great solo, but it is a typical bluesy solo; hence, comparing "Comfortably Numb" to "Stairway to Heaven" is not a fair comparison: "Stairway to Heaven" is acknowledged by the whole world to have the best solo ever ('cuz of its unique energy and sound).

The solo from "Comfortably Numb" can be compared to the one from "Since I've been loving you" by LZ, because both have bluesy solos. "Since I've been loving you" has just as good a solo as "Comfortably Numb", if not better.

Favorite Answer

i like both LZ and PF----------BUT--------------

the "since i've been loving you" solo is NOTHING like the "comfortably numb" solo!

and neither is the "stairway to heaven" solo

i agree..both are good

but LZ's solo is way better!

another thing that i'd like to point out is the fact that once again "Stairway to Heaven" is being placed too high up there, dont get me wrong, I LOVE THE SONG AND THE SOLO!

but i feel ppl dont pay enufff attention to other zeppelin masterpieces because they still cant get over the fact that "stairway to heaven" was soo good

my personal favorite LZ tune is "since i've been loving you"

Neither "Stairway to Heaven" or "Comfortably Numb" represent the best solos from Page and Gilmour - they're both great solos, but I don't know where you got the idea that the Stairway to Heaven solo is the "best solo ever" - and has been given that title by the "whole world"

For Zeppelin, "Since I've Been Loving You", "Achilles Last Stand", and "No Quarter" all have better solos off of the top of my head...

For Floyd, "Fat Old Sun" and "Have a Cigar" have more exciting solos than "Comforably Numb"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcK2Yosbu8

Youtube thumbnail

---I've included a live version of "Fat Old Sun", the solo begins after the 4:30 mark. Some may think it pales to Comfortably Numb, but I love it.

• Both solos are hypnotic and very very brilliantly played.

I might be a bit biased towards Pink Floyd; they're my all time favourite band.

Comfortably Numb isn't bluesy.. And personally I think it's more heartfelt. Don't get me wrong, Stairway to Heaven's solo amazes me. But it's not as emotionally and spiritually connecting as Comfortably Numb's.

"Pink Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour's solo on their track 'Comfortably Numb' has been voted the greatest of all time."

If you get the chance, get a DVD of Pink Floyd, and watch Comfortably Numb. It's breath-taking. See how David Gilmour just stands on top of the wall and only he and Roger are visible to the crowd. I remember when I first saw it, I was about to cry.

And the solo in Comfortably Numb speaks to you.. It just does...

Thank you for posting such a question. Really.

Source(s): [Weird that you asked this question twice. Copied my answer from the previous question]

stairway to heaven is one of the most OVER RATED songs ever led zep did much better stuff in my opinion kashmir..ramble on and black dog for instance

comfortably numb `s solo was said to of actually been made up from several guitar solo ideas dave gilmour had and put them all together for the track,

i think the whole track is full of greatness and the emotion that the solo brings at its climax will never be surpassed in a music piece.

the song is one of my favourite records of all time it sends shudders down my spine and on the occassions ive seen pink floyd or gilmour play it live it brings me close to tears with its beauty.

I am both a Zeppelin and Floyd fan, both are awesome solos.

Comfortably Numb isn't really a bluesy solo, it's just slower- and slower than Stairway to Heaven's.

If you listen to the 'Pulse' version of Comfortably Numb, live, it is almost a 5-minute solo and one you will never forget.

I myself can't split the solos, both are incredible. and both deserve the appreciation they get.

Plus, you sound really biased towards Led Zeppelin. (Not that i can blame you for it.)

Source(s): **Repeating what i said in the last question you posted**

Please, can you expand on when "the whole world" "acknowledged" it "to have the best solo ever"? Can't remember being asked personally, and the last time I looked I was part of this world- or was that the occasion when a canvasser knocked on my door and I had popped to the shops?

I have nothing against LZ, but your entire question ranks of heavily blinkered bias. Have you ever heard of people like Hendrix, Santana, SRV, Joe Satriani, Van Halen, Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Jeff Beck etc etc?

The whole world says 'stairway to heaven' is the best solo ever? think again!!!

I'm more Floyd fan than LZ, so I like Comfortably Numb more

I agree with person above, Puls version is unique

Stairway to heaven is the most overrated solo in music.

Hell...Pearl Jam have come up with better solos than that.