Do i need to take Drivers Training to get my permit in CA?

I'm older than 15 1/2 already but i've been too busy to get my permit.

I know i need to take Drivers Education classes.

But do i also need to take Drivers Training in order to get my permit? Or is that for after i get my permit?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, before the DMV can process your permit, they will need to see the Certificate of Enrollment in Driver Training in addition to the Certificate of Completion of Drivers Education.

    Below is a quick checklist of what you need to do for a Provisional Permit(source:

    You must be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years to get a permit. To obtain a permit you must:

    Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44) including your parents' or guardians' signatures. To obtain this form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133.

    Provide your social security number.

    Provide your true full name.

    Present an acceptable birth date and proof of legal presence document ( Original Copy or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the County Recorders Office OR Valid US Passport. An expired one is still acceptable)

    Submit proof of driver education completion and proof of driver training enrollment.

    Pay the application fee ($28.00)

    Study for the written test.

    Please note that it is just the Enrollment in Driver Training that is required by DMV to process your Provisional Permit, meaning that you do not have to start or complete the program.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    No. You don't need to TAKE driver's training to get your permit. You do, however, need to be ENROLLED in driver's training to get your permit. To do this, go to your local driver's training instructor and obtain a certificate of enrollment from them. Take that certificate AND your certificate of completion of driver's education to the DMV when you apply for your permit. AFTER you get your permit, then you can start taking driver's training with the instructor you enrolled with.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    in case you recommend a enable then you definately do might want to take it lower back, it extremely is what i'm guessing you're talkiing approximately considering which you suggested it expired after a 300 and sixty 5 days. in case you recommend a license then you definately could extremely might want to reregister your records on the DMV. want that helps.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.