Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Did I hear right? Did the IOC actually tell the GREAT Obama no?

Now that sure seems like a slap in the face to me. Guess the "whole world" isn't as enamored with Obama as he is with himself.

Update:

cc... I do believe you're right!

Update 2:

rejected...what no racist cracks?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • CC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No the IOC told michelle, oprah, and obama that they are irrelevant on an international arena.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Obama believe in himself so much that he thought his charm and personality will make everyone at the IOC just bow down for him and say YES MR. PRESIDENT the corrupt city of Chicago and the Daily family and your moron will have the Olympics in the 2016....what a joke , what a waste of tax payers money spending hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions of dollars for this failed trip. Its time Mr. Obama to focus on what you were elected to do and stop running away from the issues...How about giving your General in Afghanistan a call once in a while instead of meddling with the Olympics...Get real MR. OB

Oh maybe now people can call losing the Olympics " Racist" for not granting Obama his wish...

Its going to be a long flight back home OB, MIC AND OPEE

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I wonder what the IOC would have told W if he had pitched Austin Texas. This wasn't a rejection of Obama so much as it was the IOC doing their own thing. Since the popularity of the Olympics is tanking in the states while remaining about as popular everywhere else, American television is becoming less important to them.

Besides, I don't think O pushed that hard for the games because he's seen the figures on the Athens Olympics, the Sydney games and the Utah winter Olympics. None of their balance sheets were very pretty to look at and he's certainly a smart enough politician to make it look like he made an effort while knowing full well that Chicago couldn't afford to take a bath and if it did, he'd never be able to go back home.

I know that it's popular for Republicans to trash O, just like it was popular to trash W for the Democrats, but for the rest of us who couldn't give a crap about either figurehead, it's all just so much blustering by partisans who lack a sense of political reality.

• 1 decade ago

You are correct. And yes, it will be viewed as a failure for Obama in that he took a risk making this trip and even sustained criticism before the verdict was handed down by the IOC to eliminate Chicago in the FIRST ROUND of voting.

Early estimates are that Brazil made a great argument pointing out how many times the Olympics have been to Europe, North America, and Asia, but NEVER to South America. It is a glaring imbalance if these games are truly based on fairness in GLOBAL competition. And because Rio de Janeiro is lacking in sufficient hotels, roads, and other infrastructure for an even this size, it will cost them at least another $10 billion than it will other cities to prepare for the 2016 games. But they were willing to pay for it and they won the nod.

I also suspect that with the growing tension between the United States, Europe, and Iran in its quest to develop a nuclear bomb, it was safer to send the Olympics to a place less likely to be embroiled in a world crisis involving nuclear weapons. Rio de Janeiro has it's own problems with high levels of inner city crime, but they are vowing to clean that up (good luck if they can!) in time for the games in 7 years.

Bui the IOC asked for those presenting on behalf of their cities to reveal their PASSION for the games and why their city would be best. Sounds like a great competition for Obama as the great and passionate speach maker, yes?

Well...HONK! HONK! HONK! He LOST THIS ONE, big time!

So maybe charm and charisma only go so far with people from other countries who may have heard the same from their own would-be "messiahs", but are less inclined to be so easily duped as American voters when making big, long-range decisions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Was Mayor Daly there? I did not read anything about him attending. Since he has spent the last 3 years gearing up for this presentation, he should have been the one to do the presentation to the IOC for sure. But of course, the big ego and his alter egos (Michelle & Oprah) thought they could swing it. Well, goes to show you!!!

• 1 decade ago

This is a loss for ZerObama but a win for Chicago and America. The Olympics are a blood-sucking leech that leaves their hosts indebted forever - just ask Montreal!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its hilarious...and especially after he flew all the way to Denmark (that's in Europe for public school graduates) for all of 5 hours on our tax dollars to beg them to pick crime-infested, politically-dirty Chicago! Oh no, boytoy Obama didn't get his way on this one.

• 1 decade ago

mmm mmm mmm Barack Hussein Obama

Mayor Daley’s pissed

at this narcissist

and look at all the work he’s missed

mmm mmm mmm Barack Hussein Obama

• 1 decade ago

I would prefer Rio if I were voting too. It has nothing to do with saying "no" to Obama.

Open tropical environment, or land locked urban landscape?

It's no contest in my eyes. I'd much rather go to Rio than Chicago. Chicago isn't a bad place, it's just not warm and sandy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...and I guess if they had said YES, you would have been whining about Obama "wasting time in Copenhagen".

Any dumb little thing to attack him with, eh?

Where were you between 2000 and 2008 when the gangster Cheney and his puppet Bush were tearing up the Constitution, illegally wiretapping US citizens, torturing in your name and telling lies to get us into two unwinnable wars?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.