Approximately how much did Barack & Michelle Obama's trip to Copenhagen to pitch for Olympics cost taxpayers?

At a time when the war in Afghanistan is requiring full attention and the economy is showing even higher unemployment, Obama's trip to Copenhagen to pitch for his former city of Chicago was questioned as more appropriate for a mayor or governor, but not the President of the entire United States. As it turns out, Michelle & Barack Obama's pitch to have the Olympics lost out in the FIRST ROUND of decision-making by the International Olympic Committee. So the trip was a failure for the Obamas and all who sought to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago.

Considering the cost of Airforce One (for Barack) and Airforce Two (for Michelle) along with all the additional security, lodging, and other motorcade transportation -- approximately how much did this trip cost American taxpayers?

Would you call it in truth really a cleverly disguised "boondoggle"...???

Update:

Note: 8 months of Obama does not equal 8 years of Bush. If you are looking for that measure, compare expenditures per month by each. This question does not ask that. It asks for a FIGURE on this ONE TRIP -- to the extent anyone may know or have information on the average cost for Presidential and First Lady trips of this kind.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bigger than a breadbox.

Wouldn't it be nice if all politicians had to pay their own way? Maybe they could learn how to budget then.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Democrat blog Huffington Post says that it costs in excess of $60,000 per hour just to operate AF1. The simple math looks like just over 2.4 million in our hard earned dollars wasted just in air transportation. He had no business there, as he is no longer a junior senator from Illinois. Comparing former President Bush's trip to the olympics in Beijing is quite irrelevant, as heads of state are expected to attend such things and it has always been customary for the country to fund official appearances such as that.

I can't imagine what the total cost of this wasted was, after security etc. He needs to start doing the job he was elected to do. So far he has not made good on his promises, and I expect that he won't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a lot more to the costs then you would think. For each they also put in the air huge cargo planes that carry their cars for both them and the secret service. Now add to that the staff. What sucks is it was all for nothing.

• 1 decade ago

U.S. presidents have always traveled whenever and wherever they please, at taxpayer's expense. It's a privilege we extend to our executive, whether it's for business, pleasure, or personal reasons. What's different about this president? His skin color? Only a bigot would grudge this president the same privilege as all the others have enjoyed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

WAY less than the total spent by GW Bush and Laura Bush (and their contingent) to go to Beijing for a week to just watch the Olympics (and embarrass America even more).

• 1 decade ago

I'm not even going to read this and say this..

How much did Bush's 49 vacations that HAD NOTHING to do with the US cost the taxpayers? Or the war on Iraq? How much did that cost me when I didn't vote for Bush or agree to go to war for weapons of mass destruction, that I might add HAVE NEVER BEEN FOUND..

I'm still waiting....

• 1 decade ago

less than when Bush and Laura went to the olympics in Beijing

• Bert
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'd say that $1 is too much.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.