1. Why should the anti-bumping granules be added to the mixture?
2. What is the use of the fractional distillation column?
3. Try to describe what can be observed in the fractional distillation column during heating th mixture.
4. Describe the water flow in the water condenser. Can the direction
of water flow be changed? Explain your answer.
Testing species: Hydrogen gas, Oxygen gas, Carbon dioxide,
Chloride ion/Chloride compound, Metal ions, Water
Reagent used? Predicted observation?
- nickLv 51 decade agoFavorite Answer
1. To ensure smooth boiling
2. To provide a large surface area for the vapour to condense
3. When heating the mixture to appropriate temperature, a compound/element in it will vapourize. Passing the fractional distillation coloumn and water condenser, it will condense to the flask.
4. The water flow in from the bottom and flow out from the top. It cannot be changed, because the contact surface area will decrease greatly
'Relight' glowing splint
turns from clear to milky
Halides - Chloride
White ppt form.
Potassium - Lilac
Sodium - Golden Yellow
Calcium - Brick Red
Copper - Bluish Green
Turns from white to blue