Are you aware of this? (Baby carrots and chlorine)?

Are you aware that "baby" carrots are not young carrots, but deformed normal carrots that are shaved down to size and then sprayed with chlorine to preserve their orange color? Believe me or not, but it's true. I told my mom about this and she did her own research and found I wasn't lying--So... show more Are you aware that "baby" carrots are not young carrots, but deformed normal carrots that are shaved down to size and then sprayed with chlorine to preserve their orange color? Believe me or not, but it's true. I told my mom about this and she did her own research and found I wasn't lying--So she decided to buy the organic "mini" carrots. I told her they probably were sprayed with chlorine too, to help them maintain their orange color. She doubted me: "If they did that, they'd be in a lot of trouble for calling their product 'organic'!"

I contacted Earthbound Farm via e-mail about their Organic "Mini" Carrots, and asked if they're sprayed in the same fashion. Here is the reply I got, via snail mail: "Our Earthbound Farm Mini Peeled Carrots are a specific variety of full size carrots that are particularly sweet. They are harvested, cut to size and peeled with mechanical peelers. Since this is a ready to eat product, they are then washed with a chilled, lightly chlorinated water, rinsed and packaged. This procedure is in compliance with the USDA organic regulations and is used to ensure the highest food safety standards."

Maybe this is old news to the V&V community, but it's news to me that to comply USDA organic regulations, they have to spray their mini carrots with chlorine.

Were you aware of this? If so, do you know of other produce where this also occurs?

I'm sorry this was so long, but thank you for taking the time to read and reply, if you do/did so.
Update: Wow--I should've just read their website before contacting them: All of their "ready-to-eat" products are processed nearly the same way... Are non-"ready-to-eat" produce products also sprayed with chlorine? Probably not since you have to (well, should) wash them before consuming...... show more Wow--I should've just read their website before contacting them: All of their "ready-to-eat" products are processed nearly the same way...

Are non-"ready-to-eat" produce products also sprayed with chlorine? Probably not since you have to (well, should) wash them before consuming... Right? With the amount of produce I eat, I don't need any chlorine in my diet!
Update 2: Amberly (and others to come:) Get out that vegetable peeler and knife, and buy whole carrots, like I have!