What does centripetal force affect?

If an object is moving in a circular path with a particular radius and velocity, you can calculate the centripetal force acting on that object. If you change the centripetal force (lets say you increase it), does it change the velocity or radius? or both? and by how much? What I'm asking pertains to... show more If an object is moving in a circular path with a particular radius and velocity, you can calculate the centripetal force acting on that object. If you change the centripetal force (lets say you increase it), does it change the velocity or radius? or both? and by how much?

What I'm asking pertains to magnetism. If a particle with charge
"q" is traveling at velocity "V" in the 'x' direction and passes through a magnetic field "B" in the 'z' direction which is perpendicular to its path it will experience a force "F" acting in the 'y' direction. The force changes the direction in which the particle is traveling, so now the direction of the force changes, which changes the path again, yadda yadda yadda!.... the particle is moving in a circular path and the force acting on it is centripetal... that is all understood. And since you know the velocity, the mass, and the force, you can determine the radius of that circular path.

Now! if you increase the strength of the magnetic field "B", you therefore increase the strength of the centripetal force "F". As this force increases, does it affect only the radius (making it smaller) and velocity remains constant? Or, does an increase in centripetal force increase only velocity and radius remains constant? Or both? and by how much?

Thank you!
Eric
Update: In regards to Veritas De Vita: So you are saying that ONLY the radius changes, not the velocity/speed? because that makes sense, going back to F=qVB... Increase B to B' and force increases to F'... and IF "r" is somehow held constant, then V HAS to increase to V' to equal that new... show more In regards to Veritas De Vita:

So you are saying that ONLY the radius changes, not the velocity/speed?

because that makes sense, going back to F=qVB... Increase B to B' and force increases to F'... and IF "r" is somehow held constant, then V HAS to increase to V' to equal that new centripetal force F'. but if you plug that new V' back into F=qVB with your new B' that you changed originally, then your F' is not the same as when you first increased B to B' like it should, and F' itself will increase AGAIN to F'' and therefore so will your V... AGAIN! and the process infinitely repeats. which just doesn't make sense.

In other words, V CANNOT change or the equation wont work, therefore ONLY r can change... because in that system of magnetism there is no way to maintain a constant r, is there? and if the V DOES change, it screws up the whole equation, making it impossible to work backwards and determine what you changed originally, VorB...

Am I on the right track? or is my theory wrong?
3 answers 3