Justin D asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

BQ: Do you think the worst team in baseball is always the team with the worst record?

Just wondering cause my teacher/ professor/ whateveryouwanttocallhim said that the Mets were the worst team in baseball this year. Now, lemme just mention that he is a die hard Phillie fan. Anyway, just wanted to know where you baseball fans stand on this.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

As Bill Russell said in 1969:"That's why we keep score".

• Big D

Usually it does depend on the record but it can also depend on how badly a team plays out on the field. Last season, the Nats owned the worst record in baseball but I thought that the M's were the worst team last year because of how bad offensive production and the bad breaks. They looked about as embarrassing as the Mets have looked this season.

I think you're teacher is totally wrong because the Nats have seemed to have catch more bad breaks than the Mets. The Mets have caught bad breaks because they've had a crap load of injuries. If they were a healthy team this season, I don't think they would've looked as bad as they have this season.

You could say that for one year, the team with the worst record is the worst team... but that's dependant on so many factors. Bad management, a tough schedule, injuries and the like can turn a good team into an underperforming team.

If I had to pick the "worst" team, I'd have to say it's Pittsburg. They have tradition, following, and a good sized market, but they cosntantly sell off their young talent, and seemingly get nothing in return. In a city that is currently defending two championships, there's no reason that the Pirates should have 16 years of losing seasons.

DC and KC have money and attendance issues, and Baltimore plays in a truly brutal division, Oakland has had success within the past 10 years, Cincinatti was supposed to be a contender in the Central, but were plagued by injuries... these are contenders but their circumstances mitigate their poor performances.

• Pamela

It's pretty obvious that it is between the Astros and the Marlins. They're practically fighting each other for that number 1 draft pick. I think it will be the Astros in the end. The Marlins are the worst right now, with the Padres close behind, but the Marlins will do better once Stanton starts hitting, and the Padres will improve with a healthy Chase Headley.

• Well in most cases yes, take a look at the Nationals. They have the worst record and baseball and well they are the worst team in baseball.

But yes in most cases it is true sadly.

Do you think the worst team in baseball is always the team with the worst record? ~ Yeah I do

At this point in the season the numbers speak for themselves. In June you have an idea but after 158 games the last place team is usually the worst.

• No, not in this case, the Mets are not the worse team in baseball even WITH the injuries. That honor belongs to the Nationals.

I don't really know or even care since I've been away from baseball for over a year because of hospitalization and being in a nursing home. When I came out of my coma and I saw as game on TV it felt so weird like I have never seen it before.

nope the Mets total payroll is over $150 million give or take a couple

they have had the worst out put for that price

they have teh 5th worse record

no, take this year for example the worst team was the nationals because they lost 100 games but a team can play .500 ball all year and still be the worst team