Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Why do drug companies carry out testing for drugs on animals?

Why do drug companies carry out testing for drugs on animals?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Drug companies investigate a thousand possible drugs for every one that actually gets to market. Once a drug is developed to a certain point, and it's ready for testing, it has to be tested on animals first, because the animal testing phase almost always shows some unexpected problems that may keep it from being tried on humans. Only then do they proceed to small human studies, and then larger human studies. It's a matter of protecting human life. Nobody in his right mind would test on humans something that hadn't first been tested on animals, just as nobody in his right mind would volunteer to be so tested.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Drug companies test on animals because it is required by law even though many of the side effects that show up in humans didn't occur in animals.

Source(s): www.stopanimaltests.com
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because,

A.) It is too dangerous to test these unstable drugs on humans

and

B.) Even if humans DID volunteer, they probably wouldnt get enough participants.

People are often used for testing medicines in the latter-stages of product development, as the risk of severe harm or death is significantly lowered or eradicated.

I am not saying that animal testing is right or moral, I think it's cruel... I'm just stating the facts.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because to get valid results, they need to test the new compounds in a mammel (since we are mammels). In general, most mammels react nearly the same, so they can infer if X happens in test animals, it will also happen in humans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.