Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Roman Polanski and Michael Jackson?

Why do you think Roman Polanski has always been revered in Hollywood as a genius despite indisputable evidence that he’s a child rapist, yet when he was alive Michael Jackson was shunned and often ridiculed by Hollywood based on inconclusive evidence?

I don't remember a peitition by a 100 musicians being signed for the state to drop all charges against Michael Jackson.

The Roman Polanski petition demands the immediate release of Roman Polanski, with the creators stating that they were astonished that Roman Polanski was arrested.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I like Tracey's, Jones', Look Closely's, and Daffodil's answers; however, I think ultimately, it was because Polanski wasn't an American, or at least he was living outside the American attention span.

Americans are going to judge Americans more harshly.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I think the film community is perhaps a lot more close knit than the music community. A lot of people in the film industry seem prepared to stand up for Roman Polanski whatever the circumstances. If enough famous people stand up for him then the authorities won't risk upsetting him and losing the support of some of the world's richest and most influential people. And the opinion of the film industry directly influences the opinion of the public. Also, raping 13 year old girls in those sort of circles is rumoured to be quite common; if he was convicted then a few other people's sexual antics might come under question. Roman Polanski also gives the impression of fitting in very well with that sort of 'luvvie' crowd, if you like, whereas Michael Jackson maybe didn't so much, meaning fewer celebrities would have rushed to his defense.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Polanski was revered in Hollywood as a film director and writer and won many, many awards. The fact that he had sex with a 13 year old girl, does not take away his film awards.

Michael Jackson was ridiculed by the media and the public somewhat (although not his fans) because he did not hide his life and pretend to be something that he was not. America does not like people who are different.

• 1 decade ago

Polanski was white and from a different time, they tended to brush things off easier. The media also was not so harsh then, and didn't have as much air time and influence on people like they do now.

Michael J was in the media times and scrutinized for everything, unfortunately, being eccentric as he was didn't help him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are far greater crimes being committed than what Michael Jackson or Roman Polanski did. Every day some poor deluded man commits the atrocity of sleeping with a feminist! Surely these fools should be caged and locked away.

• 1 decade ago

This is a very interesting question you pose and I do have answers.

Firstly: The media and the Hollywood elite mainly consist of people of Jewish heritage. Michael Jackson was not Jewish but a Jehovah's witness. He had disputes with his record label and some big wigs in Hollywood. I don't know if you recall his song 'They don't really care about us' he used some anti-Semitic curses i.e. hate me, kike me, referring to the way the media had destroyed him. This did not go down well, hence his demonisation in the press. Mel Gibson suffered a similar fate with his outburst against Jews, He is effectively exiled. Michael Jackson is just one case, If you recall Priests who abused children over 30 years earlier have been deemed guilty even before the cases have gone to court. The defenders of Polankski are also the same ones wanting Catholic priests' heads on platters, yet at the same time state Polanski's crime happened so long ago it shouldn't matter any more. Others say Priests were repeat offenders and that Polanski only did it once hence it is not the same. But this too is a lie. Polanksi a couple of years after his arrest attested in an interview with a man called Martin Amis ( Am man who is a great fan of 'Nabokov's Lolita' a controversial film about an elderly man having sex with a 12 year old girl) that he liked f--king little girls. Everyone wants to f--k little girls even judges and juries hence the interest in his case. He has had numerous affairs with young girls under the age of 16, a well known one was kinski. It is quite likely that he has had many victims but unlike Michael Jackson's case where the accusers blatantly blackmailed Jackson and were very unsavory proven liars no dirt was thrown on them, however Geimer the victim in Polasnki's case was demonised and vilified, her mother was castigated for allowing her to be with him alone even though the mother had not left her daughter with him alone. Her life was made a misery. The media camped outside her lawn, went to her school and splashed her photos across all the papers. Imagine how that feels? The family had to go to court many times to get any settlement, despite what the papers are saying. If you can imagine this, as a young girl who has been violated would you press charges. New victims are hardly going to come forward. Whereas the Media sought out Jackson's victims.

Polanski is part of the inner sanctum of the Hollywood elite. Many of the people who signed the Petition have made money on the back of his films and now court power as a result. Also, if you recall some of the directors have dealt with the subject matter before i.e. the Director of 'Kids', has graphic scenes in his films where 12 year old girls are shown having sex and unconscious young girls being raped.

Gender is a key element here. Girl rape is seen differently to boy rape. This is a combination of homophobia and what Polanksi admitted to in his interview: the people he hung about with wanted sex with little girls. Most of the power brokers at the top are Powerful men and women who try to latch on to them. Hence, the response is unsurprising.

Recently in England a well known personality Jonathen King was sentenced to 6 years imprisonment for sex with young boys. The evidence was quite scarce. Most of the boys had been 16 or over, only one had been 14, all of them came back regularly for more assaults. They have been compensated and are commiserated with; their pictures were not in the papers they were protected and no mud was thrown at them. The offenses took place more than 35 years earlier, when sex to a boy under 21 was illegal. No-one I mean no-one defended him or made excuses for him even though these boys were not drugged.

The treatment dished out also shows how the elite are viewed.

Michael Jackson's case was littered with legal inappropriateness and some elements of the proceedings were downright illegal, but no-one in the media sought ask for his case to be thowne out. The BBC (UK taxpayers money used) co-produced a documentary for the defense of Polanski called 'Wanted and Desired' in this documentary it was confirmed that the Judge was going to renege on a plea bargain and give Polanski more time in jail. Hence, his flight to Europe to escape justice. The Prosecutor now claims that the documentary maker wanted to show just cause for his flight from justice so this fabrication was made up especially as the Judge was dead and couldn't defend himself. He has nowmcome forward and said everything he had said in the interview was lies and he only said them was due to pressure (by the filmamker) and a promise that the video wouldn't be shown outside France. In Polanski's case they had to make up legal misbehavior. In fact the reason the case was re-opened was directly as a result of his defense attorney forwarded this documentary to the United States trying to quash the case. Polanski started to believe his own hy

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Michael Jackson certainly didn't help himself with his bizarre behavior and clear mental illness (the multiple plastic surgeries, the mask, the hyperbaric chamber).

There was probably also something to it that Jackson was accused of victimizing boys rather than girls.

Edit: Trevor, I'm talking about why he was lambasted in public opinion, not that I buy into it. We live in a world where so-called "weird" behavior gets mulled over by the press like a pack of dogs over a bone. It's certainly not fair, but it happens.

• Let him out because "The Ninth Gate" was f*cking awesome.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the girl who he raped said that she forgives him and thinks he should be let go. so why isn't he let go?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.